2019-20 Game 38: Penguins at Oilers

Cam Connor tells the story of the first time Edmonton played Pittsburgh, a 5-2 bloodbath win for the expansion Oilers January 19, 1980:

Cam Connor: “In the middle of the second period, Gretzky came over the Penguins blue line and walked defenseman Kim Clackson. I knew what Clackson was going to do, because he always slashed the oncoming forward on that play. Clackson whacked Gretzky on the side of the head, and Wayne went down. Dave Semenko, who could beat Clackson, went right after him. Pat Hughes and I ended up pairing off. Semenko told me he and Clackson fought five times during the melee. At the end of the fight, the linesman began splitting them up, and Semenko turned his head for an instant. In that moment, Clackson came over the top of the linesman and landed a punch on Semenko’s left eye.”

Dear Cam Connor: I don’t think ‘pairing off‘ represents your involvement in the evening’s festivities.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, less than two coffees a month offer here.

• New Lowetide: As Oilers’ auditions of fringe forwards nears conclusion, it’s time for Condors’ top prospects to force the issue
  • Lowetide: The key missing element to the Oilers’ brilliant top line
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘We called him ‘The Crane”: Teammates and coaches reveal their best Connor McDavid stories
  • Jonathan Willis: Should the Oilers have outbid the Coyotes for Taylor Hall?
  • Lowetide: Connor McDavid’s frustration and the impact it could have on the Edmonton Oilers
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers need to figure out five-on-five woes quickly, starting with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl
  • Lowetide: Who should be the next man up from the Bakersfield Condors?
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: 10 subscriber questions for Oilers rookie defenceman Ethan Bear
  • Lowetide: Five loud noises Ken Holland could make to help the Oilers immediately
  • Lowetide: Complete Oilers top 20 prospects list, winter 2019
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 5 prospect, Winter 2019 — Raphael Lavoie
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 4 prospect winter 2019: Tyler Benson
  • Lowetide: Oilers No. 3 prospect winter 2019: Ethan Bear
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 2 prospect winter 2019: Philip Broberg
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ No. 1 prospect winter 2019: Evan Bouchard

OILERS AFTER 38 GAMES

• Oilers in 2015: 15-20-3, 33 points; goal differential -21
  • Oilers in 2016: 19-12-7, 45 points; goal differential +6
  • Oilers in 2017: 17-18-3, 37 points; goal differential -7
  • Oilers in 2018: 18-17-3, 39 points; goal differential -6
  • Oilers in 2019: 19-14-4, 42 points; goal differential -2

Edmonton remains in third place in what is becoming the red hot Pacific Division (not in wins, but hot in terms of teams being close in standings points). The Flames are one point behind the Oilers and have gained eight points on their northern rival in the last 10 games. That can’t happen.

OILERS IN DECEMBER

• Oilers in December 2015: 6-3-1, 13 points; goal differential -4
  • Oilers in December 2016: 5-2-3, 13 points; goal differential +1
  • Oilers in December 2017: 7-3-0, 14 points; goal differential +10
  • Oilers in December 2018: 6-3-1, 13 points; goal differential +6
  • Oilers in December 2019: 3-5-1, 7 points; goal differential -8

The Oilers played two solid road games, winning one, and now have a chance to make some good things possible in the days before Christmas. It needs to start this weekend, though, Edmonton is burning daylight in December.

WHAT TO EXPECT IN DECEMBER

• On the road to: VAN (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 1-0-0)
  • At home to: OTT, LAK, BUF, CAR (Expected 2-1-1) (Actual 1-2-1)
  • On the road to: MIN (Expected 1-0-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • At home to: TOR (Expected 0-1-0) (Actual 0-1-0)
  • On the road to: DAL, STL (Expected 0-2-0) (Actual 1-1-0)
  • At home to: PIT, MTL (Expected 1-1-0)
  • On the road to: VAN (Expected 0-0-1)
  • At home to: CAL, NYR (Expected 1-1-0)
  • Overall expected result: 6-6-2, 14 points in 14 games
  • Current results: 3-5-1, 7 points in 9 games

I have the Oilers going 2-2-1 from here, ending the month 5-7-2, 12 points in 14 games. The team’s record would be 21-16-5, 47 points in 42 games. That represents a 92-point pace, in line with my 88-point prediction at the beginning of the year.

OILERS 2019-20

We’re almost to mid-season now, career years offensively in reach for McDavid, Draisaitl, Kassian, Klefbom, Koskinen. Seasons that could be described as disappointing include Nuge, Gagner, Khaira, Archibald, Larsson, Smith.

OILERS FIVE ON FIVE GOAL DIFFERENTIAL, ’19-20

Oilers at five on five have been a hot mess for much of the season, we see it clearly in the goal differential. The biggest item is the gap between Koskinen and Smith (all of these numbers are NST), and the lack of plus numbers (McDavid, Kassian, Russell are the only regulars) is thunderbolt and lightning very very frightening.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260, we kickstart the final weekend before Christmas with plenty of Oilers talk and a few other items. Steve Lansky from Big Mouth Sports will chat Oilers, Hall trade, Star Wars and recount a special television memory. Matt Iwanyk will pop in after 11 with his naughty and nice list and we’ll read your texts (you have been on fire lately) at 10-1260. @Lowetide twitter, happy holidays!

417 Responses to "2019-20 Game 38: Penguins at Oilers"

« Older Comments
  1. Genjutsu says:

London Jon: Coming on another teams blog to wind up their fans when they lose is a strange (and by strange I mean sad) thing for a person to enjoy doing.

2. Woodguy v2.0 says:

godot10: Part of the Woodguy’s multitasking might include smoking something.

Mucking, mucking, mucking around in the past, one might find John Muckler.

This is fair.

3. HT Joe says:

Genjutsu: Yeah I agree with this. I wonder in few years if this kind of behaviour will be treated the wsy racism and homophobia are currently.

Wait, what?? No… racism and sexism (e.g., homophobia) are examples of hate speech / hate thought / much much worse, and have resulted in some of humanity’s greatest failings and ongoing shortfalls. Poking fun at someone’s hockey team is not in the same planet.

4. Genjutsu says:

HT Joe,

I’m not saying that it is, in any way at all even close to the same.

I’m just saying that society is progressing at light speed and what was acceptable a few years ago is not today.

Hockey is religion for some. Is it ok to belittle someone for their faith?

5. HT Joe says:

Genjutsu: Hockey is religion for some. Is it ok to belittle someone for their faith?

It is not okay to belittle someone for their faith.
    But sports? That’s similar to a group of Star Wars fans claiming that Star Wars is their religion, and how dare movie critics not give Star Wars films the best ratings all the time. It’s like saying people can’t make fun of Jar Jar Binks, because Star Wars is someone’s faith. Jar Jar Binks was a disaster, and should be mocked.

And a hockey team that misses the playoffs year-after-year-after-year should be mocked.

But more to the point, I don’t get the angst about HH. He doesn’t seem to resort to personal attacks (unlike many of his detractors), and when I’ve engaged him, he seems friendly and clever. He poo-poos the Oilers? The Oilers organization deserves to be poo-pooed.

I view his comments as (friendly) ribbing.

Question for the group: do people experience “friendly ribbing” at work nowadays, or is that a dying art?

I currently work in construction, and if you want to succeed, you have to be prepared for friendly ribbing. This is NOT ribbing related to race / gender / religion / etc., and it rarely gets personal – it’s actually friendly ribbing. I also experienced a lot of ribbing when I used to work in a restaurant – and both industries seemed like friendly fun places with good camaraderie.

I also spent a decade of my life in academia / research. There was very little ribbing, and it seemed like hurt feelings reports were common. Lots of drama, where there seemingly didn’t have to be any. I had a co-worker once burst into tears when I said they had to clean up after making a mess in my laboratory (but they were in a rush to get home, and how unfair that I should expect them to clean up their mess).

Why do HH’s comments get so far under some people’s skin?

6. London Jon says:

When is Benning back? We miss him and Bear could do with a handful of games out to reset and to work on his game. He’s been scouted by the league now and he needs to close up those holes

7. London Jon says:

HT Joe: It is not okay to belittle someone for their faith.
    But sports?That’s similar to a group of Star Wars fans claiming that Star Wars is their religion, and how dare movie critics not give Star Wars films the best ratings all the time.It’s like saying people can’t make fun of Jar Jar Binks, because Star Wars is someone’s faith.Jar Jar Binks was a disaster, and should be mocked.

But more to the point, I don’t get the angst about HH.He doesn’t seem to resort to personal attacks (unlike many of his detractors), and when I’ve engaged him, he seems friendly and clever.He poo-poos the Oilers?The Oilers organization deserves to be poo-pooed.

I view his comments as (friendly) ribbing.

Question for the group:do people experience “friendly ribbing” at work nowadays, or is that a dying art?

I currently work in construction, and if you want to succeed, you have to be prepared for friendly ribbing.This is NOT ribbing related to race / gender / religion / etc., and it rarely gets personal – it’s actually friendly ribbing.I also experienced a lot of ribbing when I used to work in a restaurant – and both industries seemed like friendly fun places with good camaraderie.

I also spent a decade of my life in academia / research.There was very little ribbing, and it seemed like hurt feelings reports were common.Lots of drama, where there seemingly didn’t have to be any.I had a co-worker once burst into tears when I said they had to clean up after making a mess in my laboratory (but they were in a rush to get home, and how unfair that I should expect them to clean up their mess).

Why do HH’s comments get so far under some people’s skin?

It works and it’s fun when it’s a friend and when it isn’t nasty or being done to get people’s backs up or to upset them.

HH is not ‘a friend’ and is deliberately provocative when we are pissed off as a group. It’s clearly to get peoples backs up and to get a rise out of people and I just don’t get why some people enjoy doing it.

Yes his posts generally start out polite and are well worded, but the intention is the same. We could all go on a Flames blog and politely troll and wind everyone up, but it just gets a bit sad and annoying after a while…

8. HT Joe says:

London Jon,

Thanks for the post. I don’t agree with all of your post (and that’s okay obviously) but your post really does a good job of explaining how you (and likely most others) perceive HH. I really appreciate this!!

9. Professor Q says:

Jar Jar gets way too much undeserved hate. As do the Prequels. Underappreciated.

He was handled very well in the Aftermath book trilogy, with both respect and almost Shakespearean ending.

10. JimmyV1965 says:

London Jon: I live in a city and a culture (London, England) where there is a lot more friendly ribbing than in Canada. It took a while to get used to it, but I really enjoy it now. It’s a big part of friendships here (I say here…I’m in Whistler right now!)

Nice post. Definitely like trash talking buds when it’s appropriate, and I have zero issues with HH, but his schtick is tired and weak. He’s continually moving the goalposts with his arguments. The Gene Principe thing was not a very good look at all, and then a day later to criticize someone else for being inappropriate is not so good either. It’s weird to think he was once an Oil fan. The team deserves to lose its fan base after two decades of crap,but instead of moving on and forgetting the Oilers, he acts like some jilted boyfriend who was dumped by his sweetheart 10 years ago. Each to their own. Just think it’s weird.

11. Genjutsu says:

HT Joe: It is not okay to belittle someone for their faith.

I view his comments as (friendly) ribbing.

Why do HH’s comments get so far under some people’s skin?

I’ve worked construction jobs before and there were certainly a lot of offside comments. Sexism was rampant, maybe you wotk in very progressive construction company.

I’d think deliberately antagonizing people is perhaps not a prudent way to live your life.

Whenever I see people throwing rocks at soldiers I never think to myself that’s a good idea.

12. HT Joe says:

Genjutsu,

I do work at a progressive construction company. It’s great.

And I don’t support throwing rocks at soldiers.

13. Genjutsu says:

HT Joe:
    Genjutsu,

I do work at a progressive construction company. It’s great.

And I don’t support throwing rocks at soldiers.

That’s awesome, I’m super happy to hear that.

You should like you’re very happy and satisfied in where you work, if that’s true I’m really happy for you.

14. HT Joe says:

Genjutsu: That’s awesome, I’m super happy to hear that.

Thanks a lot. I am really happy at work… and it really is progressive (I think the larger contractors have come a long way in the last 10-15 years, though I know not all places have caught up).

Have a great day!!

15. London Jon says:

HT Joe,

Thanks Joe. It doesn’t bug me much and I just skip over it, but I think it’s a shame for the board. It really annoys some people and it wastes space and bandwidth and it’s a shame to see good posters annoyed and wound up by it.

HH – maybe you can just be a bit more aware and respectful of a ‘room’ full of passionate oilers fans and not try and provoke as much reaction out of people?

I will go back to lurking and just reading all the comments every day!

On a way more exciting note I’m at the Vancouver game in a few days and can’t wait. Then I’m at the Flames game as well. Can’t tell you how excited I am for that one. I’ve probably seen 10 games live since I left Edmonton 22 years ago and never a Battle of Alberta…

16. HT Joe says:

London Jon,

London Joe: keep posting please… and have a blast at the games. Send updates on the BOB!

Take care!

17. yeraslob says:

Sounds like HH doesn’t have much of a life.

« Older Comments