Previous to the 2019-20 season, Leon Draisaitl was a tough out for the Chicago Blackhawks. In 12 career games, he scored six goals and 10 points. This season, in three games, he flattened the ‘Hawks 1-6-7. Music! Who else delivered quality numbers? You might be surprised.
Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Bang for your buck: Ranking the Oilers based on contract expectations
- New Lowetide: Could Oilers’ lack of centre depth mean postseason roster shuffle?
- New Daniel Nugent Bowman: What the Oilers should be thinking after watching Chicago in exhibition
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: ‘One of oddest games I’ve ever played’: Oilers adapt to games without fans
- Lowetide: Splitting the Draisaitl line may create hot August nights in Edmonton
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Take our Oilers refresher quiz and prove you remember the 2019-20 season
- Jonathan Willis: Is Philip Broberg on track to be a top-pairing defenceman?
- Lowetide: Oilers’ productive prospect pipeline a welcome change for playoffs
- Lowetide: Will the last stay-at-home defenceman please turn out the lights?
- New Mark Lazerus and Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Breaking down storylines, scouting reports and X-factors for Blackhawks-Oilers
- New Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Oilers scrimmage: Colby Cave gets Maurice Richard treatment in fitting tribute
- Lowetide: Imagining the city of Edmonton with the Oilers in a deep playoff run
- Lowetide: Ken Holland’s roster construction options over the next five months
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Inside the bubble: Details on where and how NHL players will live in Edmonton
- Jonathan Willis: Evan Bouchard’s AHL debut has him on track to become a No. 1 NHL defenceman
- Lowetide: Philip Broberg fortunate to arrive with Oilers under mature management
- Daniel Nugent-Bowman: A ‘different’ Oilers initiation leaves Olivier Rodrigue wanting more
- Lowetide: What should Oilers fans expect from Connor McDavid in the playoffs?
- Lowetide: Dave Tippett’s postseason strategy against the Blackhawks
OILERS NUMBERS VERSUS ‘HAWKS 2019-20
- Leon Draisaitl 3, 1-6-7
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 3, 2-2-4
- Kailer Yamamoto 2, 3-0-3
- Josh Archibald 3, 1-1-2
- Zack Kassian 3, 0-2-2
- Darnell Nurse 3, 0-2-2
- James Neal 2, 1-0-1
- Riley Sheahan 3, 1-0-1
- Alex Chiasson 3, 0-1-1
- Mike Smith 3, 3.56 .906
- Mikko Koskinen 1, 0.00 1.00
Connor McDavid didn’t get a point, the defensemen were not contributors to the offense. The Oilers didn’t have many players rolling high numbers against Chicago. Mike Smith’s goaltending was at times fantastic, then loose and ultimately below average. Small sample size.
BLACKHAWKS NUMBERS VERSUS OILERS 2019-20
- Patrick Kane 3, 2-2-4
- Adam Boqvist 2, 2-1-3
- Jonathan Toews 3, 2-1-3
- Brandon Saad 3, 2-1-3
- Dylan Strome 2, 0-2-2
- Alex DeBrincat 3, 2-0-2
- Ryan Carpenter 3, 0-2-2
- Alex Nylander 3, 1-1-2
- Kirby Dach 2, 0-1-1
- Dominik Kubalík 3, 0-1-1
- Duncan Keith 3, 0-1-1
- Connor Murphy 3, 0-1-1
- David Kampf 3, 0-1-1
Five men scored twice, that’s better balance and there are some fine skill veterans on the roster. I think it’s safe to say the ‘Hawks best players (Kane, Toews, Saad) are going to get their points. Important for Edmonton to outscore.
ONE TRUE THING
McDavid is rested, hungry and focused on his ultimate goal (Stanley). He will be a major factor.
I had another thought on this today. I’ve said previously signing JP would allow the club to move a veteran (say Chiasson) and save more than $1 million in cap.
It’s also true his return could impact procurement. A right wing depth chart of Kailer Yamamoto-Zack Kassian-Jesse Puljujarvi would be under control for at least four seasons. It doesn’t mean it’ll stay, but you can project with some certainty, perhaps Puljujarvi passes Kassian and plays on the second line.
I don’t think it will impact the first round of the draft, if the Oilers are going to draft Jacob Perreault and he’s available. However, if Holland and Wright have Perreault and (say) Connor Zary graded at the same level, maybe position will be a factor and Puljujarvi’s future could impact the selection. Here’s a mock from earlier in the year that sees Holland go heavy on forwards, with NHLE’s for all involved.
The Oilers are in good shape with this projected mock draft. Defense has several men pushing (Bouchard, Broberg, Lagesson, Samorukov), and two goaltenders tracking (Rodrigue, Konovalov) well enough to project as NHL options in the years to come.
If Holland signs Puljujarvi, and then spends most of his picks on center and left wing, the prospect pipeline would have a trio of top-drawer options (JP, Lavoie and Zary in this model) pushing for NHL time sooner or later.