Leon Draisaitl is money against Chicago

Previous to the 2019-20 season, Leon Draisaitl was a tough out for the Chicago Blackhawks. In 12 career games, he scored six goals and 10 points. This season, in three games, he flattened the ‘Hawks 1-6-7. Music! Who else delivered quality numbers? You might be surprised.

THE ATHLETIC!

Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. I am proud to be part of The Athletic. Here are the most recent Oilers stories.

OILERS NUMBERS VERSUS ‘HAWKS 2019-20

1. Leon Draisaitl 3, 1-6-7
  2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 3, 2-2-4
  3. Kailer Yamamoto 2, 3-0-3
  4. Josh Archibald 3, 1-1-2
  5. Zack Kassian 3, 0-2-2
  6. Darnell Nurse 3, 0-2-2
  7. James Neal 2, 1-0-1
  8. Riley Sheahan 3, 1-0-1
  9. Alex Chiasson 3, 0-1-1
  10. Mike Smith 3, 3.56 .906
  11. Mikko Koskinen 1, 0.00 1.00

Connor McDavid didn’t get a point, the defensemen were not contributors to the offense. The Oilers didn’t have many players rolling high numbers against Chicago. Mike Smith’s goaltending was at times fantastic, then loose and ultimately below average. Small sample size.

BLACKHAWKS NUMBERS VERSUS OILERS 2019-20

1. Patrick Kane 3, 2-2-4
  2. Adam Boqvist 2, 2-1-3
  3. Jonathan Toews 3, 2-1-3
  4. Brandon Saad 3, 2-1-3
  5. Dylan Strome 2, 0-2-2
  6. Alex DeBrincat 3, 2-0-2
  7. Ryan Carpenter 3, 0-2-2
  8. Alex Nylander 3, 1-1-2
  9. Kirby Dach 2, 0-1-1
  10. Dominik Kubalík 3, 0-1-1
  11. Duncan Keith 3, 0-1-1
  12. Connor Murphy 3, 0-1-1
  13. David Kampf 3, 0-1-1

Five men scored twice, that’s better balance and there are some fine skill veterans on the roster. I think it’s safe to say the ‘Hawks best players (Kane, Toews, Saad) are going to get their points. Important for Edmonton to outscore.

ONE TRUE THING

McDavid is rested, hungry and focused on his ultimate goal (Stanley). He will be a major factor.

PULJUJARVI’S IMPACT

I had another thought on this today. I’ve said previously signing JP would allow the club to move a veteran (say Chiasson) and save more than $1 million in cap.

It’s also true his return could impact procurement. A right wing depth chart of Kailer Yamamoto-Zack Kassian-Jesse Puljujarvi would be under control for at least four seasons. It doesn’t mean it’ll stay, but you can project with some certainty, perhaps Puljujarvi passes Kassian and plays on the second line.

I don’t think it will impact the first round of the draft, if the Oilers are going to draft Jacob Perreault and he’s available. However, if Holland and Wright have Perreault and (say) Connor Zary graded at the same level, maybe position will be a factor and Puljujarvi’s future could impact the selection. Here’s a mock from earlier in the year that sees Holland go heavy on forwards, with NHLE’s for all involved.

The Oilers are in good shape with this projected mock draft. Defense has several men pushing (Bouchard, Broberg, Lagesson, Samorukov), and two goaltenders tracking (Rodrigue, Konovalov) well enough to project as NHL options in the years to come.

If Holland signs Puljujarvi, and then spends most of his picks on center and left wing, the prospect pipeline would have a trio of top-drawer options (JP, Lavoie and Zary in this model) pushing for NHL time sooner or later.

138 Responses to "Leon Draisaitl is money against Chicago"

1. ArmchairGM says:

A center / LW draft. I think I can say we all agree.

(We do.)

2. JJS says:

If Holland succeeds in bringing Pool Party back into the fold and Tippett succeeds in unleashing PPs potential, would this rank above the Lucic deal in terms of GM mastery?

It may result in 10 years of right wing security (with Yama).

Crazy

3. tavvey tune says:

Cannot wait to see Das Maschine in these playoffs. Leon’s ability to flip the beast mode switch is very impressive. And then there’s 97. What a scary combination.
    This series has the feel of a passing of the torch, of sorts. From the listing hull of a once-dominant offensive club to an emerging powerhouse. Almost seems like we’re stepping into their shoes.
    Go Oil!

4. Victoria Oil says:

Last day for shaving gentlemen. Tomorrow, the playoff beards/moustaches/goatees/soul patches begin!

5. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

If the stars align (JP), some concerns can be addressed…and balance may return to the force (or at least Lowetide). It is coming into view…assuming JP comes back, is welcomed with open arms and plays well at 3RW with some spot time at 1RW. I think we are just one quality player away. Is that player AA or someone else…?

RE: The bottom 6. The key here is to improve 5v5 without significantly compromising high end PP and PK. Looking at who is already on contract for next year…

I am pretty confident that a PP of Nuge-McD-Drai-X-Klef(Nurse/Bear/Bouch) is going to be top 5 in the league for the next few years. In that vein, Chia and Neal are expendable, if a suitable forward or two could make contributions to the PP. I think that can be done, e.g., X = KY (shooter), Kass (netfrontpainintheass)

For the PK combos of Archi-A, JJ-Nuge, KY-B…A oould be Haas, B could be Drai

So

Nuge-McD-Kass
    Z-Drai-KY
    AA-Haas-JP
    Neal(Nygaard)-JJ-Archie

On deck: Benson, Marody

Does Z = AA or Benson or Ennis or other?

If AA fails to meet expectations in the next few weeks at either 2LW or 3LW, then Old Dutch has some difficult decisions to make (cutting bait on 2 2nd round draft picks). AA should be able to help the 3rd line AT LEAST, the issue is at what price?

Ideally an upgrade for 3C, but with strong wingers this could work until a suitable upgrade is available.

The only thing I am worried about on D is signing Lord Bear for as long as possible at a fair value to player and club.

EDIT: RE D. Also, ideally the team moves KRusty. If the team can’t move KRusty, should they sign and flip Willie?

6. PREDICKTER says:

Victoria Oil,

and Mutton Chops!

7. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Victoria Oil:

Yes, I will let the hair on my ass floweth for as long as the Oil goeth

8. Doug McLachlan says:

Fascinated to see what happens to AA this playoff.

In the tuneup game against Calgary he was on a jailbreak with McDavid where Connor passed up the shot to try and set AA up for a tap in (Captain doing Captain things).

I think he has a chance to pop on the third line. Would be interested to see if AA-Sheehan-Neal isn’t the ideal 3rd line set up.

Looking forward to a long run starting Saturday.

Whoot.

9. Silver Streak says:

Victoria Oil:

Many of us are facially follicly challenged…( the 27 whiskers type ) combine this with the already plentiful Covid scruffiness out there, plus its too damn hot for all that hair….Its time to begin flying our Oilers car window flags….I rooted around in my garage and found mine a bit dusty but ready to fly……Go Oil

10. Optimism is like heroin says:

GordieHoweHatTrick,

Looks like a nice line up. I would do a couple things however. For the lw spot I would resign Ennis if he performs this playoffs. For the 3c it would look a lot better with Kapanen there. He gets pk time already, and with the cap situation I wonder if Jones and benson get that trade done. Would also need to buy out Neal.

11. PennersPancakes says:

Optimism is like heroin,

For 3C are you talking about Toronto’s Kasperi Kapanen? Hes solely been a RW unless you’re referencing someone else. Agree that I like the player though.

12. €√¥£€^$ says:

Regarding draft picks/prospect depth chart, you have 2 of my favourites in Finley (who could go in the 2nd half of the 2nd round) and Veeti Miettenen. On Miettenen, sigh, the secret is getting out I fear and he may be gone in the 3rd Round.

Here is a fantastic article about him which also covers a lot of ground related to NHL Drafting biases related to age (which is why I fear Finley will be gone waaay before the Oil pick in the 3rd round).

I am also a big fan of Magnussen and Crnkovic. Wallinder is an excellent Draft prospect as well, but I expect him to be gone in the Top 40.

I predict that Dylan Holloway will drop, due to his “poor” NCAA showing and he would be my number 1 target in this draft. I think there will be up to 8, possibly 10 Dmen drafted in the 1st round and this will reshuffle the Draft quite a bit (all of Drysdale, Schneider, Sanderson, Barron, Guhle, Wallinder, O’Rourke, Mukhamadullin, Cormier, Grans, Kleven, Kuznetsov, Niemela, Hunt, Viro and Andrae have been touted as possible 1st round picks, as has Poirier, but I highly doubt his name gets called in the top 40).

Wallinder would be an outstanding pick, but Holland just doesn’t have the bullets to pick him up. As far as the “Depth Chart” goes Cairns is a LHD, and I don’t see/never have seen his NHL potential. What in the actual Hell was MacT smoking anyway (actually Chiarelli)… IMO the Leftorium prospect pool is stacked, so if I were to target D, it would be RHD. My favourite late rounders are William Villeneuve and Alex Cotton.

Finally, my favourite late round pick prospects are Pavel Gogolev, Egor Sokolov, Dmitri Ovchinnikov and I would take a 7th round flier on Dmitri Rashevsky (who nobody talks about, other than YouTuber “Draft Dynasty”) an overager in the MHL who has done nothing but score in his last 3 seasons at 3 different levels. He, along with Gogolev and Sokolov are overagers, but they all have been consistently progressing over the last 3 years and it would be absolutely worth it, IMO for Holland to trade a 5th and turn it into four 6th & 7th rounders to pick these players up while the other GMs are looking at younger prospects.

13. €√¥£€^$ says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Fascinated to see what happens to AA this playoff.

Looking forward to a long run starting Saturday.

Whoot.

I really liked Haas between Archie and AA…..AHA!

Could this be a thing?

I think AA has a real chance at being Pisani in a 3rd line deployment. He should be able to shred that Chicago D with his speed……

14. dustrock says:

Oilers should really be doing something about this but I’m enjoying Marcus Foligno’s articles about life in the Edmonton bubble.

Golf simulators are in. The Wild laughed because they were the home team for the exhibition game and they played the intro recorded by the Wild’s announcer “your Minnesota Willlllllllllllllllld” and with no fans in the building, it was strange. Guys were sarcastically going “whoo!” on the ice ha ha ha.

Said it’s funny not having the media in the locker room after games.

15. J-Bo says:

The beauty of signing Ennis next year is his versatility and the ability to have him play wherever AA is not. Takes some pressure off there. Unless AA blows the doors off, he is going to need to negotiate a 1 yr deal less then his qualifying deal or Holland will have to cut bait. AA likely wants to be here anyways and will likely negotiate with that in mind if he doesn’t have an excellent playoffs.

16. Brantford Boy says:

LT: “Connor McDavid didn’t get a point”… bites remaining fingernail…

Not going to happen this time – right?

It’s going to be a hard test but I believe we’ll all breath a sigh of relief next Saturday.

Go Oilers!

17. LadiesloveSmid says:

I love this media availability with Kass/Connor/Nurse, they’re all continually like “oh the crowd doesn’t matter at all actually.” So different than mid season interviews.

18. Fuge Udvar says:

tavvey tune:
    Cannot wait to see Das Maschine in these playoffs.Leon’s ability to flip the beast mode switch is very impressive.And then there’s 97. What a scary combination.
    This series has the feel of a passing of the torch, of sorts.From the listing hull of a once-dominant offensive club to an emerging powerhouse.Almost seems like we’re stepping into their shoes.
    Go Oil!

I can already see it as episode 2 of the Netflix docuseries in 15 years

19. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Optimism is like heroin:
    GordieHoweHatTrick,

Looks like a nice line up.I would do a couple things however.For the lw spot I would resign Ennis if he performs this playoffs.For the 3c it would look a lot better with Kapanen there.He gets pk time already, and with the cap situation I wonder if Jones and benson get that trade done.Would also need to buy out Neal.

If AA and Ennis can meet or exceed expectations in the Play-In and Play-off rounds, bring em both back.

20. ArmchairGM says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: So

Nuge-McD-Kass
    Z-Drai-KY
    AA-Haas-JP
    Neal(Nygaard)-JJ-Archie

On deck: Benson, Marody

Does Z = AA or Benson or Ennis or other?

He-who-shall-not-be-named is a UFA this summer. Just saying.

21. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™ MAJOR DEADLINE EXTENTION ANNOUNCEMENT

Enter Now:

DEADLINE: Oilers first must finish off the BlackHawks and move onto their real playoff hunt. More info from the site here:

Returning Players: Use your original names for continuity purposes.

22. dustrock says:

hunter1909,

I see my fellow pessimists have arrived.

23. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

ArmchairGM: He-who-shall-not-be-named is a UFA this summer. Just saying.

Hopefully with the flat cap chaos he could be brought in on a 1 yr deal ~ 1.2-1.5 M…if he shows well…maybe with some $ from AA coming in at < 3M…

Let's hope we get a long look at these new guys to help make the best decisions for the next 1-2 years…after the parade, of course 😉

24. OriginalPouzar says:

Remember when Leon Draisaitl finished 7th in playoff scoring in 2017 and the Oilers only played two rounds?

Now consider that Leon is such a more dominant player than he was during those playoffs and, while he was the best player on the team this year, in addition to Leon, the Oilers have the best player in the world.

Wild stuff!

25. OriginalPouzar says:

The one place where the Hawks likely have an advantage on the Oilers is depth of skill on their forward lines. Their third line will have Kirby D. and either DeBrincat or Kubalik – that’s good skill on the 3rd line.

On the other hand:

1) The Hawks defensive group, as a whole, is not good and the Oilers have a distinct advantage. Olli Maatta is akin to molases and the Oilers’ speed should be able to take advantage any time the Hawks third pairing is on the ice

2) Drai/McDavid >>>> Kane/Toews

3) Special Teams – Hawks have a decent PK but the Oilers PP vs. the Hawks PP, at least on the season, wasn’t close.

With respect to goaltending, Crawford and Koskinen were 6th and 7th in the league in 2020 with respect to shot adjusted save percentage. Given the Oilers have a 2nd option and Crawford may not be 100% “ready”, I cannot give the Hawks the goaltending advantage.

With respect to the Hawks having the advantage noted above in skilled forward depth, I will note the Oilers 4th line does have a player that scored 19 goals this year and another player that had over 20 last year – yes, PPG mostly but there is some scoring acumen on that line.

26. OriginalPouzar says:

Will Jan Mysak be available at 30-31? That’s my pick!

27. Shane says:

I know it’s faux pas to bring up yesterday’s thread but I find it quite funny how Reja called me out, unprovoked, after I hadn’t even commented in three days. Reja, it’s cute that I’ve taken up residence in a part of your brain.

And yes, if the indigenous peoples in and around the Chicago area find the name offensive. Then it should be changed. I could see this happening possibly in the next five years. Why does that make you so uncomfortable?

And were you referencing the book/movie I was named after at the end of your comment? If so, you messed up the lines…

Anyway, odd that you choose to be so divisive at a time when the hockey team we mutually cheer for is about to embark on a playoff run that you predict will be long and that you generalize ‘all young fans’ as being unaware is about to happen.

I hope you’re right about that part, Go Oilers!!

28. Shane says:

Hey OP,

Just wondering if you have any info about practice today?
    Yesterday’s practice was all hands on deck yea?
    Is it a full practice or optional? Who’s in the starters net??

Curious If things are different today with the early start time tomorrow.

29. Optimism is like heroin says:

PennersPancakes,

you are absolutely correct. So he isnt an option for 3C but yes a great player.

30. tavvey tune says:

OriginalPouzar,

Remember when Leon returned from Bakersfield after, what, 2 weeks, and was a completely different player? He showed up wanting to shove that demotion straight up someone’s hynie. For me, that was the moment I realized this guy’s will and determination was off the charts. He will be the standard that other big centers will be compared to, the way Kopitar or Thornton have been.
    Oh, and we also have Connor McDavid. Wow…..

31. €√¥£€^$ says:

ArmchairGM: He-who-shall-not-be-named is a UFA this summer. Just saying.

It will be an interesting offseason for sure. And if the Dogs flame out in the Qualifying round and if the Oil go far, combined with Voldemort’s bubble experience….I just wonder if that has any influence…..

32. Profit says:

€√¥£€^$,

Yeah I wonder how much cross-team hanging out there will be. Like will he and McD play pingpong or golf and chat about “how things could be next year?”

We know that happened last year with Neal as McDavid sounded like an important part of the Neal/Lucic deal.

33. Durag says:

OriginalPouzar:

Wild stuff!

34. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

I think that Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line is going to disappoint a lot of people.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

Durag: And consider that instead of playing 25 minutes a night in a dogfight for playoff position he’s had 4 months of rest!

and that, last time he was fully rested, he had 25 points in October…..

36. dustrock says:

OriginalPouzar,

I’d agree on much of this but overall I think the Hawks are better at 5v5 and you’re right about their 3rd and 4th lines probably being superior.

Pretty sure Crawford playing gives them the advantage in net though, he’s a career excellent playoff performer and he was playing very well when the season ended.

If Drai and Yamamotor are still fire without Nuge, and Nuge helps unlock McDavid, I think the Oilers will win in 3 or 4.

But the absolutely terrific special teams were hiding a pretty poor 5v5 team, and if the whistles disappear, it’s going to be Advantage: Hawks I fear.

37. Darth Tu says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    I think that Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line is going to disappoint a lot of people.

If it’s going to happen, hopefully it’s in game one and then Haas and/or Nygard get into the lineup to give us even more speed.

38. Munny says:

dustrock:

I see my fellow pessimists have arrived.

Lol, you’re going out first, ya bastage!

39. Munny says:

That Broberg article that SP posted yesterday… kid sure sounds determined to make the team sooner rather than later. And he claims he is “absolutely ready” for the NHL Playoffs if called upon.

Not awestruck, just brimming with confidence. Love it.

40. Oilman99 says:

GordieHoweHatTrick,

Two second round picks for nothing is pretty hard to take, I don’t think Holland would cut bait without a full season to prove whether AA is a lost cause.

41. Ice Sage says:

Victoria Oil:

And no manscaping!

42. Munny says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    I think that Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line is going to disappoint a lot of people.

My expectations aren’t particularly high…

43. Munny says:

Oilman99: Two second round picks for nothing is pretty hard to take,

Highly improbable he trades AA away for nothing. Highly.

44. ArmchairGM says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Will Jan Mysak be available at 30-31?That’s my pick!

45. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:
    OriginalPouzar,

With respect to goaltending, Koskinen and Crawford were right beside each other in adjusted stats in 2020 and, while Crawford was playing well down the stretch, so was Mikko.

Yes, Crawford is a career excellent playoff performed but so is Mikko – yes, its in the KHL but he upped his game and won two championships in 5 seasons.

Add in that the Oilers have a 2nd tender that may be just as good (and is a career great playoff performer) and that Crawford, while he made 11 saves on 11 shots the other day, hasn’t had a training camp (after not skating for four months), well, maybe there is advantage Oilers.

I’m a bit biased here, for sure, Crawford may well the X-factor that changes the series but I don’t think its a slam dunk that the Hawks get better tending.

46. OriginalPouzar says:

JJS:

It may result in 10 years of right wing security (with Yama).

Crazy

Full draft day potential?

47. ASkoreyko says:

Rondo:
    Good for the NHL

I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but either way, not sure why you would share this here on LT?

The source for the ‘article’ is dubious at best (their byline makes it pretty clear what type of website it is) and given the current lack of diversity in the NHL (and the typical SES of hockey players) I don’t think as much should be read into each of these acts.

Either way, I am pretty sure LT has made it clear he doesn’t want this type of stuff on his blog before and I think that is something we should observe.

48. Eh Team says:

OriginalPouzar: Add in that the Oilers have a 2nd tender that may be just as good

Who is that? Certainly not Smith based on his track record.

49. Rondo says:

ASkoreyko,

Unfortunately politics has entered sports. That was a NHL story. Perhaps you should widen your horizon and read Jason Whitlock.

50. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

€√¥£€^$: ArmchairGM: He-who-shall-not-be-named is a UFA this summer. Just saying.

Whoops on my earlier reply. I did not know who A-GM was referring to (Although I knew it wasn’t really Voldemort)….

Can’t see the other he-who-should not be named….coming back.

51. OriginalPouzar says:

It was interesting, there was the media avail a few hours ago with McDavid, Kass and Nurse, streamed live and they mentioned Tip would be speaking to the media at 1 but I haven’t been able to find that stream.

Anyways, Holland is on the Gregor show at 2:20 this afternoon – always good info from Kenny the Grinder!

52. Munny says:

Rondo:
    ASkoreyko,

Unfortunately politics has enteredsports. That was a NHL story. Perhaps you should widen your horizon and read Jason Whitlock.

Regardless, LT’s policy is quite clear.

I think you would get a little leeway if you also posted comments that were sheerly just hockey, but political issues are all you ever post about.

53. JOFA says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    I think that Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line is going to disappoint a lot of people.

Agreed.

I also believe Nuge will need to go back with Dre and Yamo yesterday.

54. deardylan says:

Imagine the gloating we would endure daily if Nucks lose series and win the draft.. Nooooooooo

55. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: hey mentioned Tip would be speaking to the media at 1 but I haven’t been able to find that stream.

According to the Oiler Youtube site, looks like 3pm for Tipp.

56. pts2pndr says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: Yes, I agree. I am hoping for Ennis too – but was mostly working under the premise of current contracts (although AA isn’t signed, he needs to be qualified).

Ennius has to be on a one year deal. Benson is a better option in my opinion.

57. Darth Tu says:

Rondo:
    ASkoreyko,

You mean this Jason Whitlock?

On February 10, 2012, in the middle of the Knicks’ 92–85 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers, with Jeremy Lin scoring a career-high 38 points, Whitlock posted on Twitter, stating that “some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight.”

58. pts2pndr says:

deardylan:
    Imagine the gloating we would endure daily if Nucks lose series and win the draft..Nooooooooo

They couldn’t win a draft when they had a 50% chance. They won their draft in the Crosby year when they were the only Canadian team with a top 10 pick.

59. ASkoreyko says:

Rondo:
    ASkoreyko,

They have entered sports, but again, I am pretty sure that LT asked that it not be brought here, for fairly obvious reasons and I feel that we should respect his wishes.

60. pts2pndr says:

Rondo:
    ASkoreyko,

Maybe we should do away with national anthems at sporting events! They are years of tradition unhampered by progress. The very feelings they fostered were part of the thinking that brought us two world wars!

61. OriginalPouzar says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Fascinated to see what happens to AA this playoff.

Looking forward to a long run starting Saturday.

Whoot.

I have dreams of the speed of AA (and Archie) taking advantage of the Hawks 3rd pairing and the, slow as molasses Olli Maatta…..

62. OriginalPouzar says:

€√¥£€^$: I really liked Haas between Archie and AA…..AHA!

Could this be a thing?

I think AA has a real chance at being Pisani in a 3rd line deployment.He should be able to shred that Chicago D with his speed……

Its too bad that Seabrook wasn’t available to join Maatta on the 3rd pairing.

63. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

Hmmm.

5v5 scoring:
    Edmonton Oilers (GP, PTS, PTS/GP)
    1 Kailer Yamamoto R 27 22 0.81

12 Jujhar Khaira —- L 64 9 0.14

13 Gaetan Haas —– C 58 7 0.12
    14 Joakim Nygard — L 33 7 0.21
    15 Patrick Russell —- R 45 5 0.11
    16 Tyler Benson —– L 7 1 0.14

5v5 scoring:
    Chicago Blackhawks (GP, PTS, PTS/GP)
    1 Patrick Kane ——- R 70 50 0.71

10 David Kampf —– C 70 13 0.19
    11 Matthew Highmore C 36 6 0.17
    12 Ryan Carpenter — C 69 11 0.16

13 Dylan Sikura — R 9 3 0.33
    14 John Quenneville- C 9 0 0.00
    15 Brandon Hagel — L 1 0 0.00

They do have a bit of an advantage on that 3rd line, no question. But the Oilers top 6, to a man, has the advantage over the Hawks.

And you’re talking about one of those Hawks top 6 guys playing on the 3rd line.

FWIW the Oilers should have Athanasiou on their 3rd line. He scored 0.48 and 0.45 5v5 PTS/GP the 2 seasons before this one (0.41 if you take his 3 year average).

More generally a lot’s been made about the Hawks being the better 5v5 team. It’s true but I don’t think the gap is large (it may not exist any more with the Oilers deadline additions).

On the year at 5v5:
    GF-GA
    Hawks – 147-147 (50.0%)
    Oilers – 141-157 (47.3%) (in one more game).

Shots
    Hawks – 47.1%
    Oilers – 48.3%

xGF
    Hawks – 46.9%
    Oilers – 48.3%

Scoring Chances
    Hawks – 47.4%
    Oilers – 47.7%

HD Scoring Chances
    Hawks – 45.8%
    Oilers – 49.6%

PDO
    Hawks – 1009% (6th in the league) (the difference is all SV%)
    Oilers – 997%

So the Hawks are riding percentages. Have they done it before?

Chicago’s 5v5 PDO in earlier years
    18-19 1005
    17-18 989
    16-17 1014
    15-16 996
    14-15 1004
    13-14 999

Sometimes. Not always by any means. It’s certainly possible they keep it up if they get the goaltending.

And since January 1st both teams have been better. Hawks 69GF-60GA 5v5. Oilers 66GF-60GA. The 5 on 5 advantage for the Hawks is much ado about nothing IMO.

Plus a huge advantage to the Oilers on special teams.

The Oilers match up very well IMO. Now they just gotta win the games!

64. €√¥£€^$ says:

Eh Team: Who is that?Certainly not Smith based on his track record.

Great Analysis by Bituman at Copper blue regarding the goalies.

65. €√¥£€^$ says:

Munny: Lol, you’re going out first, ya bastage!

“Bastage” this brings back flashbacks to grade 10. A couple of guys used that word for about 2 years. I had no context, just thought they’d made it up, and I never adopted it, no one else seemed to either.

Google is my friend and I see it came from the 1984 film Johnny Dangerously. That timeframe lines up. Never saw it, but now I have context and now I am at peace.

Thanks for the memories Munny!! 😁😁

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    I think that Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line is going to disappoint a lot of people.

Khaira PK’s. The other two guys share net front on PP#1. All they have to do is not be minus at even strength.

On this team, special teams are more critical than 4th line performance.

In a hard cap world, on a team with several bad contracts and dead cap space, there are going to be weaknesses.

67. jp says:

Calvin de Haan – D 29 6 0.21
    Olli Maatta ——- D 65 13 0.20
    Duncan Keith —- D 61 11 0.18
    Lucas Carlsson — D 6 1 0.17
    Nick Seeler ——- D 6 1 0.17
    Nicolas Beaudin – D 1 0 0.00

It’s amazing how little Keith produces at evens these days.

Also, more on DeBrincat or Kubalik playing on Chicago’s 3rd line…

DeBrincat with Strome 56.4%GF 2.20P/60 (most common linemate, 463 of 920 minutes)
    DeBrincat w/out Strome 45.5%GF 1.18P/60

Kubalik with Toews 52.9%GF 3.38P/60 (462 of 812 minutes) (wow!)
    Kubalik w/out Toews 46.2%GF 1.55/60

Both did do decent/well with Dach but it wasn’t where either player was their best.

68. OriginalPouzar says:

Holland on the Gregor Show:

– Gregor asked about how many games he’ll watch – Holland has watched all the games live so far. He’ll watch as much as possible – will be there for the Oilers game, go back to to the hotel to watch Pit and then head back to the rink for the night game

– On Puljujarvi – A year ago when Holland met with him, it was shortly after his surgery and Jesse was clear in that meeting that he didn’t have interest in playing (same in subsequent meetings with Lehto). Certainly a different tone in the recent zoom call and in calls with Lehto and he plans on talking to Lehto again soon.

Ultimately, Holland thinks playing in Liiga will end up being a good thing – he had to finally deal with “professional adversity” – had the opportunity to go back and be an important part of a pro hockey team. Watched Jesse play in that tournament – played on the PP and well.

Didn’t re-scout Jesse re: his draft class but its tough to find 6’4 players with that skill that have accomplished what he had at such a young age.

Trying to build a team that can compete – there is an opportunity there and he’s just 22 years old. Most players take until 22, 23, 24 until they can live up to expectations and there is a great opportunity in Edmonton

– Started off the year great at 7-2-1 – bonded on the early road trip. Everyone was excited. The next 30 games they were .500 and were going to work themselves out of the playoff picture but then they made some call-ups and Tippett broke up McDavid and Drai and they became a tough team to match-up against. Special teams were good all year. Early January road trip against good teams – did well and became a good team and started to feel good about themselves. Growing as a team in 2020 and finding an identity.

– Chicago is a veteran and experienced team with some good young kids – a team that feels good about themselves but we feel good about ourselves.

– Thoughts on experience and how long does “experience last” given its been a while since Hawks had success: Experience is always helpful (unless you can’t move) – its a factor. Our guys went to the playoffs a few years ago so have experience. We also have Smith and Neal with experience. Sheahan and Archie as well.

– Now we just got to go out and “do it”

– Feel good about ourselves, put ourselves in a good position but now got to go out and “do it again”. The “experiences” through the year will be beneficial now.

– Asked about goaltending: Of course game 1 starter is important as its an important game. Thinks that tending is one of the team’s strength with two guys that can play. Planning on a long run and a good chance could use both. Chance a guy gets hot and your ride him and that’s a good thing. Think either goalie can get hot and can ride them for a stretch of time – if that hot tender “comes off it”, we need to win 5 rounds, so we’ll need more than 6 d-men, more than 12 forwards and likely more than 1 tender.

– Holland knows who is starting tomorrow – won’t say. Up to Tip to announce.

– Will use this opportunity to evaluate the team as it will be a short off-season – will also watch all other teams in the West and watch the teams and their players for evaluation.

– Archie and the pro scouts are in the bubble and assigned to various games to scout (in addition to watching all Oiler games).

– Holland will be scouting individual players and making notes – not teams/strategies like the coaching staff are doing. Normally wouldn’t get a chance to see lots of these players play live so this is a great opportunity.

69. Kraz says:

Lots of talk about Chicago having better 3rd and 4th lines but I really don’t think that will matter as I expect we see a lot of Tippett sneaking McDavid onto the 4th line between Neal and Chiasson.

70. PennersPancakes says:

One point Ive noticed with forum posts/articles/random conversations is that when people talk about Oilerse vs Blackhawks and bring up performances from this season they dont as often bring up the trade deadline additions.

When comparing 2019-2020 seasons its important to remember at the end of February the Oilers added
    – Ennis
    – AA

While the Blackhawks lost
    – Lehner
    – Gustafsson

The Oilers added two middle six wingers with speed while the Blackhawks lost a starting goaltender and a 3rd pairing powerplay specialist (one season removed from 60 points).

How much do the teams stats change over the year if these roster changes were at the beginning of the season? Or if Yamamoto was ready in October. No one should take any team lightly but its a pleasant team to be matched up against instead of the Jets for example.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

€√¥£€^$: I really liked Haas between Archie and AA…..AHA!

Could this be a thing?

I anticipate that Haas will be replacing Sheahan as a center in the Oiler lineup and on the PK next season but I anticipate, at least to start the post-season tomorrow, Sheahan will be in his regular spot with Archie and on PK1.

Haas will get in the lineup at some point but I wouldn’t be taking Sheahan out unless he (and the team) struggle.

While I anticipate that Haas will indeed be a plus PK in the NHL, he hasn’t done it in the NHL and Sheahan is a high end PK guy and has chemistry with Archie on the PK.

Not to mention, faceoffs. While Sheahan isn’t great at faceoffs he’s the only decent guy after Drai and we can’t have Drai taking all important draws.

72. OriginalPouzar says:

J-Bo:

I don’t think there is any way that Holland simply cuts bait with AA and doesn’t qualify him.

Even if he struggles in the playoffs, he’ll get qualified and the Oilers are really only committed to 1 year at $3M and he’ll get to “start fresh”.

AA has had a tough year but, even aside from his 30 goal season, he has scored 16 and 18 (I believe) and was on pace for over 20 in his rookie season (split with the AHL).

A one year, $3M contract will be fine – in my opinion.

73. OriginalPouzar says:

Shane:
    Hey OP,

Just wondering if you have any info about practice today?
    Yesterday’s practice was all hands on deck yea?
    Is it a full practice or optional? Who’s in the starters net??

Curious If things are different today with the early start time tomorrow.

Nope, no intel on practice today.

They are closed to the media so we can only really go off what the coach says after.

The boys (Kass, Nurse, McDavid) had a media avail around 11 and Tippett was to speak at 1 but I wasn’t able to find a stream of that anywhere.

All hands were on deck yesterday and I’m sure we won’t find out about the goalie until pre-game (as there won’t be a morning skate I wouldn’t think).

Here is a post I made last night:

Unless something goes wrong at practice tomorrow, with Sheahan and Jones both participating in practice today, I think we can be pretty confidant on what we will see to start the game saturday afternoon:

Nuge/Mcdavid/Kassian

Ennis/Drai/Yamamoto

AA/Sheahan/Archie

Neal/Kharia/Chiasson

(Russell, Haas, Nygard, Benson, Marody, McLeod)

Klefbom/Larsson

Nurse/Bear

Russell/Benning

(Jones, Lagesson, Bouchard, Broberg)

Koskinen

Smith

(Skinner)

————

PP1 – McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Klef, Chiasson (Neal)
    PP2 – Yamamoto, AA, Ennis, Nurse, Bear

PK1 – Sheahan, Archie, Klef, Larsson

PK2 – Nuge, Khaira, Nurse, Russell

Goalie start likely the biggest question mark.

74. OriginalPouzar says:

On that note, coach just spoke but I only caught the last few minutes.

He wouldn’t speak on who is starting in net (shocker) or advise if there were any changes to lines/pairings but did say that everyone skated and all are available for tomorrow.

There will be no pre-game media avail.

75. pts2pndr says:

godot10: Khaira PK’s.The other two guys share net front on PP#1.All they have to do is not be minus at even strength.

On this team, special teams are more critical than 4th line performance.

I am not sure the great minds of the blog have payed much attention to the fact that games now run two hours and thirty minutes. Given that there are commercials on both ends it would appear that some of the TV timeouts have been shortened and or eliminated. The fourth line may end up with more minutes.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Games with few stoppages in play may require more fourth line minutes.

76. OriginalPouzar says:

NHL has conducted over 1500 tests in the hub cities, each processed within 24 hours – zero positives.

Lets also remember, these are being conducted by a private health company on retainer – not taking away from public resources.

Great work NHL (and players, coaches, staff, etc.).

77. OriginalPouzar says:

Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual:
    I think that Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line is going to disappoint a lot of people.

If the main disappointment for the Oilers is their 4th line then things are likely going well – not even factoring in that each of the three players play important roles on special teams!

78. RonnieB says:

OriginalPouzar: AA could elect arbitration but, if the award is over $3.5M the team can walk away at that point.

Just FYI.
    The $3.5 number was set in the last CBA and (per agreement) has increased at the same rate as the average player salary since then. As of Summer 2019 arbitration, the walkaway point had increased to $4,397,832.
    Source: CapFriendly.

79. pts2pndr says:

LadiesloveSmid:

You can reprogram your thinking. The coaches have obviously done a good job if the Calgary game is any indication. My motivation was to hit anyone with an opposition jersey, on the first shift played.

80. OriginalPouzar says:

ArmchairGM: He might be. I’d go with Lukas Reichel, but I wouldn’t be disappointed with Mysak.

I’m far far far from an expert on the non-drafted prospects but what I’ve read and seen of Mysak, I like. I like the fact that he excelled in two completely different leagues, with different styles of play and ice – he came over to North America and required almost no time to acclimatize. Also, from what I understand, he wasn’t zoomed by the other elite players on his team as he drove a line on his own apart from the likes of Kaliyev.

81. OriginalPouzar says:

Eh Team: Who is that?Certainly not Smith based on his track record.

Smith has the ability to get red hot for stretches and be just as good – he swings wildly but can get hot just like Crawford or Mikko. I don’t have knowledge of Subban doing the same in the NHL.

82. Brantford Boy says:

€√¥£€^$: Johnny Dangerously

You must have suffered from ESS… that’s an old classic…

83. OriginalPouzar says:

JOFA: Agreed.

I also believe Nuge will need to go back with Dre and Yamo yesterday.

but, if Ennis doesn’t work out there, they could try Benson……

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Munny: According to the Oiler Youtube site, looks like 3pm for Tipp.

Ya, thank you. I missed that and didn’t realize the time change. Did catch the last couple of minutes though.

85. Reja says:

Ladies and germs 19hr and 28min before we school thump the Hawks 3 straight.

86. OriginalPouzar says:

jp,

Yes, I was talking about the depth of the skill that Hawks have with the likes of Kirby D. and one of Kubalik or DeBrincat on their 3rd line.

Yes, AA has a history of 5 on 5 production but not this year – he may well recover but hasn’t shown it (yet) – with that said, I guess the same can be said of DeBrincat.

87. OriginalPouzar says:

€√¥£€^$: Great Analysis by Bituman at Copper blue regarding the goalies.

Of note, he did a piece a few weeks ago with the other side, “Why Smith is better than Mikko”.

88. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Kraz:

That would be a great idea!
    Hell he could even put the 2nd best C (league MVP) out there once ina while on line 3 or 4.

89. Unfriendly Regional Arachnid Individual says:

OriginalPouzar,

Never suggested that would be the main disappointment, just that they seem to be getting a disproportionate amount of hype (though I don’t think I’d call it that, a better word escapes me) for a line that didn’t show much in limited showings at 5-on-5 and just had a weak showing in the exhibition game. I’ll hope for a good showing but, after the performances of our bottom-6 through 71 games, I’m confident it’s among the worst in the playoffs.

Of course, our top-6 has the capacity to be among the best and our D is solid so it’s not all bad. I was merely stating that I’ve seen enough talk about “this line is built for playoff hockey” leads me to believe some people’s hopes are too high.

90. OriginalPouzar says:

PennersPancakes:

– Ennis
    – AA

While the Blackhawks lost
    – Lehner
    – Gustafsson

This is definitely a factor and, when I do Oilers’ analysis, I often do “2020” to take in to account the Yamamoto call-up.

91. OriginalPouzar says:

RonnieB: Just FYI.
    The $3.5 number was set in the last CBA and (per agreement)has increased at the same rate as the average player salary since then. As of Summer 2019 arbitration, the walkaway point had increased to $4,397,832.
    Source: CapFriendly.

Good thought and info – thank you.

A, say, $4M award would be a troubling scenario but, in reality, do we see him getting an award that much higher than his QO? Not based on current season numbers.

92. RonnieB says:

OriginalPouzar: I can’t recall exactly what is and what is not allowed to be used in arbitration.

There is a quick-read article at http://www.liveabout.com/nhl-salary-arbitration-explained-2778985

93. dustrock says:

What’s the turnaround time between play-in series and the first “regular” playoff series?

Someone mentioned McDavid getting double-shifted and if there was ever a time to double-shift McDavid, it’s in a 5 game series after they’ve had 4 months off.

Don’t save anything. Win the play-in round and anything is possible.

94. RonnieB says:

dustrock:

Don’t save anything. Win the play-in round and anything is possible.

The play-in round will be completed no later than Aug. 9th. On Aug 10th the Lafreniere Draft takes place. Round 1 of playoffs starts Aug. 11th.

95. OriginalPouzar says:

dustrock:

Don’t save anything. Win the play-in round and anything is possible.

There is limited time off between series – Round 1 is scheduled to start August 11.

NEW for The Athletic: Homegrown Oilers players will again take a featured playoff role

97. OriginalPouzar says:

Wow, NHL has ruled on the Lucic/Neal trade and the Oilers have to transfer the 3rd rounder – either in 2020 or 2021 – Oilers have until the third round in the 2020 draft to decide.

Terrible – I believe the flames should get some comp but this is egregious.

98. Side says:

OriginalPouzar:

Terrible – I believe the flames should get some comp but this is egregious.

Welcome to the Oilers, Ken Holland.

99. Todd Macallan says:

OriginalPouzar:

Terrible – I believe the flames should get some comp but this is egregious.

There must be an appeal process. This decision is beyond bullshit.

100. Harpers Hair says:

They cut the baby in half.

Seems fair.

101. Reja says:

Side: Welcome to the Oilers, Ken Holland.

I would have bet my house on it. I don’t care how laid back Holland is but he needs to fight this atrocity

102. Todd Macallan says:

Wonder if now this means they pro rate goals for everyone? Ovi and Matthews hit 50. Just give Drai fifty again while they’re at it. This is compensatory picks for fired coaches and shitty gms all over again.

103. N64 says:

Harpers Hair:
    They cut the baby in half.

Seems fair.

Oh good. We can send the upper body this year and the lower body next year

104. N64 says:

Side: Welcome to the Oilers, Ken Holland.

Yep. OP was right. Gary was willing to wade in and rewrite the deal. No precedent on trade conditions. Now there is

I told you they would do this with the Neal/Lucic trade,

106. deardylan says:

Only a 3rd rounder for Neal with Oilers in the playoffs. And Lucic with Calgary!! Haha. Steal of a deal! We got off too easy.

107. Scungilli Slushy says:

The Oilers get the bubble and the shaft.

108. Harpers Hair says:

N64: Yep. OPwas right. Gary was willing to wade in and rewrite the deal. No precedent on trade conditions. Now there is

Obviously, the Flames and Oilers were both going all in.

Flames get a pick but the Oilers get to choose when.

Seems the Oilers have avoided having no second or third round picks in 2020.

Could have been worse.

109. Scungilli Slushy says:

The heavy line will be tasked with breaking even and cycling hard.

It is really important in series play to physically disrupt and system disrupt.

Also in season play, but you can’t grind down a team you’re playing once or rarely twice.

Hold the puck and tire them out.

It’s like boxing, the little rib and kidney shots add up in the end, if you can land them.

110. OriginalPouzar says:

Todd Macallan:

They aren’t pro-rating stats for the purposes of performance bonuses – only games played and for the purposes of technical matters like slides, waiver eligibility, etc.

For the Oilers not to get a comp pick back at the end of the round is egregious.

111. N64 says:

Harpers Hair: The league had previously said the teams could work it out themselves and, if they could not reach an agreement, the league would rule.

Obviously, the Flames and Oilers were both going all in.

Flames get a pick but the Oilers get to choose when.

Seems the Oilers have avoided having no second or third round picks in 2020.

Could have been worse.

Solomon is giving out haircuts now?

112. OriginalPouzar says:

deardylan:

Still a great trade but, in the circumstances, hard not to be annoyed with the ruling. Surprised? Not really, but annoyed.

I don’t believe it would be “fair” for the flames to get nothing but the ruling is on the opposite spectrum of “not fair”.

113. Munny says:

NHL… still proud of our 100 years of Opposite George.

114. Munny says:

N64: Ohgood. We can send the upper body this year and the lower body next year

I think we have to say “unfit-to-play body” theseadays…

115. €√¥£€^$ says:

Harpers Hair:
    They cut the baby in half.

Seems fair.

Nope, they didn’t cut anything, they allowed that mother in current possession to either give up the child this year or to wait until next.

116. Munny says:

OriginalPouzar: Ya, thank you. I missed that and didn’t realize the time change.Did catch the last couple of minutes though.

All 8:49 can be found here:

117. OilClog says:

The conditions of the trade weren’t met, Holland being the wise, skilled, successful, multiple time general manager of the Stanley cup will take this personally and only continue to surround his superior talent with the pieces required to dominate the NHL for the next decade.

118. OriginalPouzar says:

The conditions of the trade weren’t technically met but the time frame for performance of the conditions was altered by a force majeure – there are valid argument both ways which is why a saw-off of sorts (comp pick being added) would have made the most sense – in my opinion.

Go Jets go. Eff…er…off da Flames. And just when I was starting not to hate Bettman,

120. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair:
    They cut the baby in half.

Seems fair.

FU

121. Harpers Hair says:

Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:
    The Oilers have until the start of the third round of the draft in October to decide if it’s 2020 or 2021 for the third-round pick they owe their rivals. But I think the league here made the right call as far as the spirit of the trade.

122. SVR says:

N64,
    What’s your take on increase in number of COVID cases in many parts of Canada the last couple of weeks? Expected part of opening things up a bit? Or should we be worried?

123. Gerta Rauss says:

This is the NHL

124. innercitysmytty says:

Harpers Hair:
    Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) Tweeted:

125. Harpers Hair says:

innercitysmytty: Is LeBrun suddenly a contract lawyer? If not, who gives a shit what his opinion is.

Are you?

126. hunter1909 says:

OilClog:

This is precisely the expert analysis everyone comes here to learn from.

127. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909 2020 Playoff Death March™ NEW SCHEDULE KEEP PLAYING THE NEW DEADLINE WILL BE UP SOON

Enter Now!

Returning Players: Use your original names for continuity purposes.

128. hunter1909 says:

LOL @ THE FOLLOWING DEATH MARCH™ ANNOUNCEMENT:

THE CURRENT RUNNING COUNTDOWN CLOCK IS CURRENTLY VOID

please continue to register until further announcements are made:

129. Munny says:

LT said:

Leon Draisaitl is money against Chicago

The Oilers last playoff victory:

Griffin Reinhart played. Letestu had 4 points, and Leon… well Leon was a lion.

Game Day article and thread:

130. Fuge Udvar says:

So do we give up the 93rd pick this year or the 96th pick next year?

131. SwedishPoster says:

Less than ten hours until puck drop. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

But seriously.

Are we there yet?

132. hags9k says:

GOILERS!!!!!!!

(I’ll say Archibald as the Pisani.)

133. OriginalPouzar says:

Refs this afternoon are Brad Meier and Francois St.Laurent – no Kozari.

134. The Trade Guy says:

The worst compensation was paying the second and third rounders for Chia and Todd to the teams that uh… fired them.

Were the Oilers the only team to get jobbed by that rule?

135. Reja says:

The Trade Guy:

Were the Oilers the only team to get jobbed by that rule?

Flames fans having a good laugh on us this morning. I hope those pricks get blanked tonight.

136. flea says:

Sucks on the pick but would anyone undo that trade?

Still brilliant work by Holland.

Have your pick Flames, and enjoy protecting Looch in the expansion draft.

137. N64 says:

SVR:
    N64,

The whole dance is expected. Destination unknown. Everyone has some level of spread at which they will worry and if enough are fatalistic it explodes.

Closer to home, the spread/worry feedback loop kept Edmonton’s new cases in the 20s most days in July. Calgary started July with similar daily cases then doubled for most of the month, but are currently improving.

Extensive testing leaves you less blind. First serology out of Alberta just published estimates that end of May we were picking up 1/6 of all infections. So we’re around 99% untouched perhaps halfway to a vaccine for the general public (depending on how it works out for the most at risk).