Rollin’ Down the Highway

Things are starting to happen now, the rookie camp roster was released yesterday, and another European winger is a person of interest. In the next seven days we’ll get the training camp roster and perhaps there will be a few surprises.

The mornings are cooler now, night time too. Leaves are turning, hockey is arriving right on time. It’s my favourite time of year, memories of chilly days, leaves burning in the backyard and skates cutting ice. I could spend a lifetime watching tape-to-tape passes, have, as a matter of fact. God I love this game.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of the group, take advantage of the incredible Labor Day Weekend offer here!

• **New Lowetide: Estimating reasonable expectations for the 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers: A difficult journey
  • New Jonathan Willis: How much money will Darnell Nurse make on his next NHL contract?
  • New Lowetide: Ken Holland’s measured summer leaves Oilers outside playoffs.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Can Mikko Koskinen be a quality starter for Oilers in 2019-20?
  • New Lowetide: The 2019-20 Oilers and value contracts: A period of transition
  • New Corey Pronman: Oilers No. 9 farm system.
  • New Jonathan Willis: Jesse Puljujarvi signs one-year deal in Finland, dashing hopes he would return to the Oilers
  • Lowetide: Jay Woodcroft joins Claude Julien and Todd Nelson as key coaches in Oilers prospect development
  • Lowetide: Is Riley Sheahan an ideal fit for the Oilers as their No. 3 centre?
  • Lowetide: Oilers coach Dave Tippett might have to take drastic action in order to find a second outscoring line in 2019-20
  • Lowetide: Oilers end summer still shy on first-shot scoring wingers
  • Lowetide: Connor McDavid and optimal line chemistry: The Oilers need to abandon enforcer fixation and add a skill winger
  • Lowetide: Jesse Puljujarvi’s biggest hurdles: Bad timing and the indifference of the Oilers.
  • Lowetide: Projecting the Oilers 2019-20 Opening Night Lineup
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Q&A: Dave Tippett on rounding out his coaching staff, fixing Oilers’ special teams and using Connor McDavid
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: What the 2021-22 Oilers might look like after their steady build toward contender status
  • Lowetide: Joel Persson is ideally situated to win an opening night roster spot with the Oilers
  • Jonathan Willis: Projecting the Oilers’ opening night lineup, line combinations and more.
  • Lowetide: Oilers’ acquisition of James Neal could add badly needed scoring to the top two lines.
  • Daniel Nugent-Bowman: Ken Holland puts his stamp on the Oilers with first big move in Lucic-Neal trade
  • Jonathan Willis: Ken Holland ends an ugly situation for the Oilers by trading Milan Lucic for James Neal
  • Lowetide: Oilers top 20 prospects summer 2019.

Burdasov is a big winger with a terrific (left) wrist shot, he spiked in the KHL this past season. He also had a pile of pims (114) and 19 goals, plus 156 shots in 50 games. His NHLE from last year (82, 23-15-38) is comparable to Joakim Nygard’s NHLE (82, 19-13-32).

2019 ROOKIE CAMP

Goalies (3): Stuart Skinner, Olivier Rodrigue, Dylan Wells. Two pro goalies and Rodrigue will go back for his final season of junior.

Left Defense (4): Jaxon Bellamy, Ethan Cap, Brendan De Jong, Dmitri Samorukov. Samorukov is the only player under contract to the Oilers, and one of the most valuable assets in the system.

Right Defense (3): Evan Bouchard, Logan Day, Vincent Desharnais. Bouchard is the impact prospect at this camp and there’s a chance he’ll stay in Edmonton all winter long. Day and Desharnais were both looking for an NHL contract this spring, and it went to the undrafted Day.

Center (4): Cameron Hebig, Steve Iacobellis, Cooper Marody, Ryan McLeod. Marody has a real chance to play for the Oilers this season, and McLeod’s speed is going to get him NHL chances, although maybe not this year. Hebig had a strong start in Bakersfield and faded, this will be an important year for him. Iacobellis is a talented player.

Left Wing (5): Tyler Benson, Liam Keeler, Beau Starrett, Jakub Stukel, Nolan Vesey. Benson is a feature player in this camp and will probably enjoy playing in front of Edmonton fans (he was hurt damned near every fall as a junior). Starrett is an interesting player on an AHL deal.

Right Wing (4): Raphael Lavoie, Kirill Maksimov, Ostap Safin, Kailer Yamamoto. These are four impressive talents, each of them with enough skill to reach the NHL (imo). Lavoie is the exciting new arrival, Maksimov is the hotshot junior and the other two just want to be healthy this season. Impressive group of talent.

That third item is worth a conversation. I remember well JP’s first training camp performance and McLellan’s quote “We may as well cut to the chase, Jesse has some work to do. We’d like to think he can pull through and play on our team but based off tonight’s game—while he has lots of talent, he has to learn time and space at the NHL level. A couple of times he looked dangerous but he has to have the puck a lot more.” Source

95 Responses to "Rollin’ Down the Highway"

1. McNuge93 says:

Wow, you’re up early this morning LT.
    Yes, it seemed Chiarelli did some things counter to what his coaches might have wanted, like side deals with player agents on number of games played. And the rumour that the coaches were against trading Strome. Hopefully Holland and Tippet are in sync.

2. Professor Q says:

I’m watching Luleå vs. Liberic.

Fascinating that instead of a Golden Helmet, Liberic has a name placard on the bottom back of the jersey that simply says “TOP SCORER”. Not very creative but interesting, in my opinion.

3. McNuge93 says:

Professor Q:
    I’m watching Luleå vs. Liberic.

Ya, that Liberic was a hell of a piano player.

4. OriginalPouzar says:

Less than a week until rookie camp – so exciting!

Playoffs, Stanley Cup run, battling for a bubble spot, out of it by December, whatever it may be, there is a story line that develops each and every game day, something to learn about the players, the team, the coaches, the organization, etc. – a reason to tune in each and every night!

Can’t wait!

5. OriginalPouzar says:

I was hoping to see Persson at rookie camp although I’m not surprised that he’s not on the roster given his age and the fact that he is essentially on the Oilers (from listening to Gully last week). I just think that the more NHL sized ice he gets before October 2, the better. His ability to play 5 on 5 minutes at the NHL level is a key to the season and the quicker he starts adjusting, the better.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

The Oilers currently have a lack of top 6 right wing talent at the NHL level.

Those are four talented offensive right wing prospects at camp. Hurry up and wait!

Imagine if Jesse Puljujarvi was added to that rookie group?

A couple of them will hit within the next few years, right?

7. McNuge93 says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Less than a week until rookie camp – so exciting!

Can’t wait!

8. Pouzar says:

OriginalPouzar:
    The Oilers currently have a lack of top 6 right wing talent at the NHL level.

Those are four talented offensive right wing prospects at camp.Hurry up and wait!

Imagine if Jesse Puljujarvi was added to that rookie group?

A couple of them will hit within the next few years, right?

Neal…but Oilers gunna Oil.

9. Professor Q says:

Professor Q:
    I’m watching Luleå vs. Liberic.

Oh, and it also seems as though the player doesn’t have their name placard or number on the back like the others.

Just two additional adverts.

Same with Luleå. Giant blue advert and “TOP SCORER” on the lower back.

Interesting European twist to hockey!

10. Oil2Oilers says:

Resigning myself to the fact Puljujarvi is not coming back.

Following LTs long exposed belief that GM’s like there own prospects, what about a trade for Michael Rasmussen from Detroit?

Puljujarvi should be enough but if not adding Bear would be acceptable to me. The weakest area of depth on the rookie roster is Left wing, lacking much talent past Benson. Rasmussen would fill that gap, and three others because he is a giant.

11. Professor Q says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Resigning myself to the fact Puljujarvi is not coming back.

12. Darryl8843 says:

If I can read between the lines here TM clearly seems a bit bitter. Which by the way is fine. He should be.
    Also if you don’t subscribe to the Athletic you should. There’s a insane amount of good writers and articles there from every sport.

13. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Professor Q: And the second weakest past Bouchard and Bear is RHD? Why does everyone here just want to toss Bear in as an extra in trades? Have we learned nothing in the past 13 Years Of Horror?

Yes. Trades out should come from LHD pool. Cause that is the stockpile of talent and Gord knows the Oil are going to draft 2 more in the first two rounds next year anyway…

14. dustrock says:

Can’t ever cheer for Man City but holy hell what a team

OriginalPouzar:
    The Oilers currently have a lack of top 6 right wing talent at the NHL level.

Imagine if Jesse Puljujarvi was added to that rookie group?

A couple of them will hit within the next few years, right?

Neal’s preferred side is right wing.

Draisaitl can play right wing. He might be better at right wing than left. Putting him on McDavid strong side, and Draisaitl is the superior backhand passer.

Darryl8843:
    Also if you don’t subscribe to the Athletic you should. There’s a insane amount of good writers and articlesthere from every sport.

Blaming others is so #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach.

17. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

godot10,

Leon’s versatility is a boon for the team, and by memory he’s the de facto RHC on the 1st line as well as the PP1 RW goal line triggerman. Personally speaking, I don’t care where he plays; as long as he produces we benefit.

godot10,

Don’t disagree in principle, but a) he didn’t outright blame anyone, and b) we don’t actually know what was promised vs. what transpired. Many here did infer that the relationship wasn’t the most functional during his and Pete’s tenure, so there ought to be more nuance afforded.

18. Twinkle Mo' Fo' Toes says:

Joakim Bygard….is from a long line of “Swedes” in the NHL no one has heard of, such as: William Bylander, Gary Bylund, Bob Bystrom and Gustav Byqvist 🙂

19. Professor Q says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Leon is left-handed, not right-handed.

20. Pescador says:

dustrock:
    Can’t ever cheer for Man City but holy hell what a team

Which is funny because I used to enjoy watching MCity play before they were Billionaire owned and operated.
    I know it can never happen, but I would love it if the EPL had relegation/promotion And a salary cap

21. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Professor Q,

Am well aware; however, he tends to take the right side draws as he’s stronger on the back hand than most not named Syd. And stronger taking short side shots down low on his off wing than most in recent memory.

Basically I was inferring positional play rather than handedness. 🙂 To your point, I should have said RC, not RHC.

22. Yeti says:

Professor Q: Have we learned nothing in the past 13 Years Of Horror?

Yes, but mostly the wrong things.

23. Oil2Oilers says:

Caleb Jones is being sold by the Oilers as a Right side defender. I like Bear and wish him to have and NHL career, I just don’t think the Oilers will give him a shot.

24. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Oil2Oilers,

Jones is being sold as a RHD, how?

He’s listed as a LHD.

He’s played RHD in the AHL because he was a better fit for team need than others, including Bear.

Coach Playfair has stressed his intent to have players in their position of natural handedness numerous times.

Bear could well leapfrog Jones this year; as LT says, prospects don’t develop in straight lines. Considering Bear had injury woes last season, there’s a reasonable chance we didn’t see him at peak value and he asserts himself this season. Or it could be Willie. We don’t know. Such is the nature of prospect development. Maybe Bear just doesn’t sufficiently overcome his deficiencies to graduate.

But I do trust the new regime to continue the recent trend of proper prospect development.

25. OriginalPouzar says:

Love the prep that the coaches are putting in to get ready for this season.

We know how much tape Tippett has watched of the team last year and the Condors and, now, Playfair has indicated that he’s (1) studied the top ten PKs in the league from last year and (2) watched 20 games of each d-man from last year and prepared training videos for them all.

I’m going to assume this isn’t all that unusual and most coaches are very prepared these days but its good to hear/read/know that our coaches, who have been out of coaching for a few years, are up to speed and working hard.

26. Professor Q says:

Pescador: I long for the day when Mancity finds itself in the same boat as ManU are in now.

It seems even Watford and some other good teams have started out not as hot as they have before. Sheffield is doing well thus far, though!

I don’t have many allegiances though. I love Man City’s colours and started watching just as they were bought I think, Leicester because of Schmeichel, Borussia Dortmund due to being not Bayern-Munich (and I like Hazard), although now that Davies is on BM I can’t hate them as much. Copenhagen due to family ties. I find it much too difficult to choose!

27. Oil2Oilers says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

But do you see Bear getting more development opportunities the the new shiny object Bouchard? I don’t that’s why I see a better future for him with a different club.

28. Professor Q says:

Oil2Oilers:
    BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Another club that’ll also have RHD prospects that’ll battle with him?

Bear vs. Bouchard should elevate their games, not detract from them. Competition breeds success. They both want to be on the Oilers and with the Cup. We need all the RHD we can get. Let’s not toss one just because we have another.

29. GordieHoweHatTrick says:

Oil2Oilers:
    BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Bear can provide injury cover (assuming Bouch is the better RHD of the two).

30. defmn says:

Bob Stauffer
    ‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer
    1h1 hour ago

Bob Stauffer Retweeted Igor Eronko

Burdasov is represented by Ritch Winter.
    Likely looking for significant bonuses.
    Oilers have Cap challenges and need a depth Center more than taking a flier on a Winger

31. jp says:

defmn:
    Bob Stauffer
    ‏Verified account @Bob_Stauffer
    1h1 hour ago

Bob Stauffer Retweeted Igor Eronko

Burdasov is represented by Ritch Winter.
    Likely looking for significant bonuses.

32. OriginalPouzar says:

McNuge: I made a commitment to myself this year not to get optimistic or positive no matter how anybody looks in training camp or exhibition. I seem to fall into that trap every year. That way, when we’re out of the playoffs by Christmas or so, the disappointment and depression will be so much less.

We all know my take – great performances in camp and exhibition season by young high pedigree prospects means very little as far as NHL readiness. I have little doubt that Bouchard will be right at a PPG in exhibition season and McLeod will sparkle with his speed and size.

A top performance from a guy like Bouchard or Benson won’t prove NHL readiness but will be a pre-req for them to get the chance to do so in real NHL games.

I have little doubt that Bouchard will impress on a higher and flashier level than Lagesson but that won’t mean that he’s more NHL ready and ready to impact the lineup in a positive way than Willie.

I fully expect guys like McLeod, Makismov, Lavoie, Bouchard, Sammy, etc. to have great moments at camp but don’t expect any should break camp with the team.

—————————————-

The Oilers very well could be out of it by January. If that happens, I will be wildly disapointed but, at the same time, I won’t be “depressed” – I’ve learn to allow the team to excite me but not to negatively effect me in the same way it does positively. I simply don’t allow them to negatively effect my day to day mood.

Even if they are out of it, I will still tune in each and every night, will schedule plans around games and look forward to every game night. Even if the points aren’t relevant any more, I still get to watch each of the players play, watch them make mistakes and develop. If Maksimov gets called up after the deadline, I get to watch that young kid fulfill a dream and see how he performs and develops.

33. jp says:

jp,

*900k being a number that wouldn’t affect the Oilers cap either way, and still allow for a ~$1.2M addition at C.

34. OriginalPouzar says:

ProfessorQ: Are there any…*cough*…easily available viewings of the Euro leagues? If I were to try to get into them, that is.

Both Karpat and Skeleffeta play tomorrow.

35. OriginalPouzar says:

There is no bonus structure that player that can effect the cap unless he’s still subject to the ELC structure – he may be but I’d have to do some research.

36. defmn says:

jp: I thought similar about C vs Wing. But how much bonus money could a player like Burdasov possibly command? And I’d think 900k one way is more than he’d be making in the KHL. Maybe not?

37. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:

If he’s 28 he’d be an UFA and past ELC, non?

38. jp says:

defmn: Either way it is good to know that the rumour mill still has Holland out there beating the bushes looking for help without compromising the future.

Absolutely agree. It’s possible all these forward bets don’t move the needle, but I’m having a difficult time finding any downside to them.

39. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar: The Champions Hockey League games are all streamed on its website – right now if you wish.

Both Karpat and Skeleffeta play tomorrow.

We were discussing football this time, sorry! Championship vs. Champions Hockey League could be confusing, though.

If you had read my earlier posts you’d have known that I was watching Luleå play Liberic.

40. Harpers Hair says:

Luke Fox at Sportsnet connecting the Oilers with Patrick Marleau.
    Might be a very good bet at league minimum for third line centre or winger.

41. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Luke Fox at Sportsnet connecting the Oilers with Patrick Marleau.
    Might be a very good bet at league minimum for third line centre or winger.

42. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: Saw that too. I think we both know that depends on SJ not being willing to offer him any kind of look. I think it would be good for the OIlers on a one year though.

It appears the Sharks have no interest.
    No idea if Marleau would sign with anyone else but if he wants to keep playing, the Oilers might be a good destination now that his family has moved back west.

43. Reja says:

Harpers Hair: Luke Fox at Sportsnet connecting the Oilers with Patrick Marleau.
    Might be a very good bet at league minimum for third line centre or winger.

44. Harpers Hair says:

Reja: Who is Luke Fox is he any relation to Megan Fox. All kidding aside never heard of him but then again I try to avoid Sportnet watch Oiler games on away feed unless it’s Calgary or the canuckleheads.

He’s a national columnist for Sportsnet.

45. texmex says:

Harpers Hair: He’s a national columnist for Sportsnet.

What did he say? Any links?

46. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Luke Fox at Sportsnet connecting the Oilers with Patrick Marleau.
    Might be a very good bet at league minimum for third line centre or winger.

He’d be highly preferable to Burdasov I think.

47. Harpers Hair says:

jp: He’d be highly preferable to Burdasov I think.

A much better bet than Granlund too.
    He can still fly and reportedly provided a lot of veteran leadership with the Leafs.

48. defmn says:

jp: He’d be highly preferable to Burdasov I think.

No doubt. Anybody looking at the current Oilers line up can see it is missing some pieces. The good news is that there are a lot of unanswered questions regarding RFA signings that can have spillover effects in terms of teams having to make additional moves.

49. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q:
    BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Leon is left-handed, not right-handed.

50. Darryl8843 says:

godot10,

True but each year he was there PC depleted his talent

51. Darryl8843 says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey,

We don’t know what was promised but we definitely know what transpired

52. Scungilli Slushy says:

godot10: Blaming others is so #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach.

godot10: Blaming others is so #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach.

godot10: Blaming others is so #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach.

Sometimes I hate phones

Hi Godot, I’m ‘waiting ‘ for you to adopt my position on McLellan, bwa ha ha!

Every coach that makes the best league is a good coach in some way, and has technical understanding.

To me the difference is people skills. It’s like anything else, there are some folks who combine people skill and deep knowledge of what they do. It’s as rare as the guys who are smallish and can’t skate or one or the other , but are so hockey intelligent it doesn’t matter.

It also seems abundantly clear to me that there was a lot of back pressure on T and P. To win now which was a grave mistake by Katz.

I feel from watching the gore that P just mailed it in. He I believe was pressured to deal problem child Hall who had no cache in the league. Added to that was Ps penchant for heavy which made limited options worse.

McLellan is a decent guy and good coach, but like most people needs support . He’s not Trotz, and I trumpet Barry because he went to the Caps, won them a Chl, went to the Isles and crushed it.

There is no coincidence there, he is flat out brilliant.

I see Tippet being more in that branch of the coaching tree even if he is also from Sask. Less a grumpy ass kicker from the Babcock McLellan branch.

We hope.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

ProfessorQ: If he’s 28 he’d be an UFA and past ELC, non?

Just took a look and anyone 25 or older when they sign their first NHL contract are not subject to ELC parameters.

So, I don’t know what Bob is talking about regarding bonuses and them effecting the cap. He could have signing bonuses but not performance bonuses – a deal structured with heavy signing bonuses and less salary has zero effect on the cap vis-a-vis all the compensation being in salary.

Scungilli Slushy: Sometimes I hate phones

godot10: Blaming others is so #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach.

godot10: Blaming others is so #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach.

godot10: Blaming others is so #ThoroughlyMediocreCoach.

Hi Godot, I’m ‘waiting ‘ for you to adopt my position on McLellan, bwa ha ha!

That post makes me feel like Jack Torrance banging away on a typewriter.

55. dinger says:

Holland has spent a good portion of the summer trying to get faster without stressing the cap why would he want a 40 year old who had trouble keeping up last season. Additionally it is extremely hard to parachute a leader into an existing locker room without causing turmoil and a fracturing of loyalties and trust. As said earlier this fan base has to learn to stop desiring shiny things just because they might be or once were top quality players. IMHO

56. Professor Q says:

Scungilli Slushy: If we’re being picky we should say left shot or right shot. Who knows if they are left or right handed?

Touché!

57. Scungilli Slushy says:

Oil2Oilers:
    BornInAGretzkyJersey,

Bear by his own admission took a while to get the plot around training.

Trying to become a pro athlete is a very fast train. Missing stops along the way derails almost all players that have the natural skill and talent.

Connor said the other day he thinks the difference is work, not native ability.

I wish the best for all of these young players . I also remain astonished that so many that get so far along the track lack the drive to reach their life long goal.

To hear of another skilled player that couldn’t learn to skate at an NHL level may eventually push me over the edge.

Soccer players that can’t run, makes the same amount of sense to me these days. Slow receivers in football, quarterbacks with weak arms. Kinda critical to success. All things that can be developed, unlike physical talent for a sport.

Or like having a high IQ, you can’t change it much but you can work at your weaknesses and overcome them, there won’t be Nobel awards coming typically, but success can be in the picture.

58. Scungilli Slushy says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Love the prep that the coaches are putting in to get ready for this season.

The thing to me is the model it shows to the players.

On a team that has been disorganized on the ice for years, it’s a message to come prepared and that there is a plan. I believe it will give confidence to the players coming into camp and also with the acquisitions made some fears. Get it done or back of the bus.

59. Scungilli Slushy says:

Professor Q: Touche!

I have done it a million times and coming across my comments and thought that isn’t really the thing.

60. Scungilli Slushy says:

godot10: That post makes me feel like Jack Torrance banging away on a typewriter.

Ha!

61. Pescador says:

Professor Q: Are there any…*cough*…easily available viewings of the Euro leagues? If I were to try to get into them, that is.

Alphonso scored again today, amazing!
    I’ve been a Liverpool supporter for 20 years, I loved Robbie Fowler. (Still the greatest goal celebration of all time!).
    I was a center midfielder back in the day so naturally Stevie Gerrard was my hero.
    When you say “easy viewings” are you referring to a free link?
    I wish I knew of one, I have not been able to watch my club this year whatsoever.
    Fuck DAZN, I hope they die like Setanta

62. pts2pndr says:

GordieHoweHatTrick: “Ideally”, if Bear can hold his own at 3RD (i.e., if he is in there instead of Persson), Bouch can spend more time in Bakersfield developing his D aspects where it will be easier than developing them in the NHL. Then “when Bouch is sufficiently baked”, he can be brought up for an extended NHL trial and if necessary, go back down to A or a stretch to fine-tune as necessary.
    Bear can provide injury cover (assuming Bouch is the better RHD of the two).

63. Harpers Hair says:

dinger:
    Holland has spent a good portion of the summer trying to get faster without stressing the cap why would he want a 40 year old who had trouble keeping up last season. Additionally it is extremely hard to parachute a leader into an existing locker room without causing turmoil and a fracturing of loyalties and trust.As said earlier this fan base has to learn to stop desiring shiny things just because they might be or once were top quality players. IMHO

Marleau has no trouble keeping up.
    The Leafs have a bounty of scoring wingers and moved him to third line minutes last season where he still managed 16 goals and 37 points. He played second line minutes the season before and scored 27 goals and 47 points.
    Put him on the Oilers second line with RNH and you can expect he will outproduce any other option.

64. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Marleau has no trouble keeping up.

He would immediately be Edmonton’s 2nd best winger and then only because we keep calling Draisaitl a winger. 😉

65. OriginalPouzar says:

ptspndr: Reality is Bouchard could very well be better than Bear at this time. I believe that he should still be afforded some AHL time to fine tune his defensive skills and to get acclimated to playing against men. I do believe that Bear is a bonafide NHL prospect but am not sure his skating will allow him to be a top four D. That being said I do believe him deserving of a shot on the big team.

You may be right, Bouchard may be better than Bear. I would suggest there are certain areas where each is better at this point but we will soon fine out.

Either way, Bouchard is such an important prospect and there are so many options that I think the organization HAS to to the risk-adverse approach and we all know what that is.

I think the Bear’s competition for October 2 is Joel Persson.

66. OriginalPouzar says:

defmn: Have to agree. Marleau can still skate. The only questions really are term, money and will he sign with Edmonton.

67. Jethro Tull says:

dinger:

Dinger? That was my nickname in the Army.

68. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar: You may be right, Bouchard may be better than Bear.I would suggest there are certain areas where each is better at this point but we will soon fine out.

I think the Bear’s competition for October 2 is Joel Persson.

I look at the second and third pairing right D being a four way fight between Benning, Persson, Bouchard and Bear. The lowetide community seems to see Jones as a possibility as well. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

69. Harpers Hair says:

OriginalPouzar: For a 35 plus contract (shit, if there was a threshold for a 40 plus contract….), anything longer than 1 year has to be a non-starter, right?

No need to sign him to anything longer than a year.
    Give him a one year contract at league minimum and some bonuses and Bob’s your uncle.
    You can easily demote some of the dross to the AHL to make the contract fit.

70. defmn says:

One year max for sure.

71. OriginalPouzar says:

ptspndr: I look at thesecond and third pairing right D being a four way fight between Benning, Persson, Bouchard and Bear. The lowetide community seems to see Jones as a possibility as well. It will be fun to see how it plays out.

I can’t imagine a scenario where Benning does not have one of those two spots.

72. RedArmy says:

2- JP to Carolina for Wallmark

Draisaitl mcdavid Kassian
    Benson nuge Neal
    Granlund lindberg chaisson
    Kharia wallmark gagner
    Nygard. Archibald

I believe Lindberg signed with Zug of the NLA.

74. Scungilli Slushy says:

If Marleau is into the Connor thing there should be interest.

But under 1M and willing to play 4th line.

I feel, from the surface with no context inside, that he is one of the most impactful players, in his prime, since he’s played.

Quiet and deadly. Like Nuge.Those are playoff players, battle to the end when it counts. Nobody notices that they are getting yoeman’s done

But that is what wins in the end, the second tier gutting it out.

75. Rebillled says:

My nickname was Klinger in the army.

If Berbatov wants $900,000 lets give him 4.5 mil.

Just kidding! #hollanddays

76. Scungilli Slushy says:

Rebillled:
    My nickname was Klinger in the army.

If Berbatov wants $900,000 lets give him 4.5 mil.

Just kidding! #hollanddays

I was never in the army.

But my nickname is Optimus Prime.

For myself. Which is incorrect English. Unless you are an alien bot. And have kids…

77. SVR says:

Rebillled:
    Scungilli Slushy,

LSD?

13-23-63-13w5

78. OriginalPouzar says:

Skelefftea game tomorrow is at 8 mountain I believe – steamed on the Champions League website.

79. Jethro Tull says:

SVR: 13-23-63-13w5

Oh for Fox Creek.

80. Reja says:

Jethro Tull: Oh for Fox Creek.

Fox Angeles

81. rickithebear says:

Jaxon Bellamy
    4th ranked player in Qmjhl draft.
    Picked #16 in Qmjhl draft.
    Watching video of his lane coverage length.
    Press of Blue
    Transition passing.
    His nasty nasty physical def of HD area.

He shows the same at rookie camp.
    He would be our second best HD def prospect behind Lagesson.

82. rickithebear says:

Holland stated he likes current D.
    14-15 to 15-16
    Manning #1 1.46 evga/60 14-15 to 15-16
    Larsson #2 1.54 evga/60 14-15 to 15-16
    Benning top 40 HD dman
    Russell #1 Closed corsi dman

Playfair stated some Dmen are in need of learning the suttlties of generating offence without risking Defence
    Nurse Rover
    Klefbom Rover

Holland Stated that Lagesson AHL, Persson SHL deserved a shot at a position.
    Persson
    That is the 7 current roster Dmen

Sekera said Lagesson was a NHL player.
    The only AHL dman he called that.
    Lagesson #8 dman

In a Second comment after Lagesson, Persson.
    Holland mentioned “Jones, Bouchard, Am I forgetting …… Bear.”

83. Munny says:

Not sure about Marleau… isn’t he just about ready for the Big Sleep?

84. Munny says:

I have to relate this story because it is just snapshot perfect of how insane the world our politicians have created truly is:

A Dutch financier who manages a pension fund had recently started to build large cash positions. One day he was called by a pension regulator at the central bank and reminded of a rule that says funds should not hold too much cash because it’s risky; they should instead buy more long-dated bonds.

His retort was that most eurozone long bonds had negative yields and so he was sure to lose money.

It doesn’t matter,” came the regulator’s reply: “A rule is a rule, and you must apply it.”

Thus, to “reduce” risk the manager had to buy assets that were 100% sure to lose the pensioners money.

[Source: Charles Gave]

I wonder how those who will want to collect their pensions over the next 20 years will feel? Assuming there’s one left to collect.

And probably no one should feel bad for widows or orphans or the handicapped or really anyone on fixed income… Fuck those guys ( I mean if we’re to sincerely follow our wonderful leaders—please remember to vote ladies and gentleman, because democracy is so cool).

The lengths our governments will go to just to keep spending beyond their (ie our) means is disgusting.

85. OriginalPouzar says:

Berglund and Broberg paired today – game at 8am mountain.

86. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar,

Thanks for the reminder… for those interested, I found a stream at:
    on hockey dot tv

Karpat v SC Bern is at 10am mountain as well.

87. Professor Q says:

Munny:
    Not sure about Marleau… isn’t he just about ready for the Big Sleep?

Bowling the nine-pins in the mountains, eh?

88. OriginalPouzar says:

I get home from the gym and turn the game on – 5 seconds later, Brogerg makes a nice stretch pass up the middle. Play is broken up, and goes the other way – rush down Berglund’s side, a weak backhand from the outside is taken and the goalie Koskinen’s it – B an B are -1 with no culpability.

89. Professor Q says:

OriginalPouzar:
    I get home from the gym and turn the game on – 5 seconds later, Brogerg makes a nice stretch pass up the middle.Play is broken up, and goes the other way – rush down Berglund’s side, a weak backhand from the outside is taken and the goalie Koskinen’s it – B an B are -1 with no culpability.

It also looks like Skellefteå has changed their goalie already?

90. OriginalPouzar says:

Skelefftea all over Grenoble in the first. Saw the last 12 minutes and the only time Grenoble touched the puck was the weak goal mentioned above. Lots of pressure, shots and PP time but just couldn’t convert.

Broberg with some PP2 time in the period. Looked OK but didn’t stand out.

91. Justthestatsman says:

OriginalPouzar:

i like how you’ve made “Koskinen” into a verb. Very descriptive!

92. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Berglund beat wide in halfway through the first on a knuckle puck goal.

Only caught the highlight from the intermission, so I missed the context that OP provided.

93. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Looks like BroLund is a pairing today. Seen them out on the PK and 4-on-4 so far. Broberg quiet so far in the second, Broberg had a nice clear on an early PK.