A Developing Story

Linus Omark was a pretty good comparable for Robert Nilsson who was a pretty good (and faster) comparable for Rob Schremp. The Edmonton Oilers employed all three at one point this century and didn’t get enough from any of them.

There are teams that view good prospects as a never ending resource and have no issue with trading out a developing piece for a shiny new solution. It’s a bad way to develop talent. The Oilers spent most of the first 20 years of this century representing the guy who meets a girl, falls in love, meets another girl, falls in love, and on it goes.

If an NHL team pays its scouts to uncover talent, watches the management group draft that talent, spends time, money and energy to develop that talent in the AHL, then for goodness sake the parent team’s coaching staff needs to see how things play out. It’s the right thing to do.

THE ATHLETIC!

The Athletic Edmonton features a fabulous cluster of stories (some linked below, some on the site). Great perspective from a ridiculous group of writers and analysts. Proud to be part of The Athletic, check it out here.

Linus Omark photo by Rob Ferguson

I have some genuine hope for the young players who played for the Bakersfield Condors in 2019-20. I had real hope for the young players who played for the Oklahoma City Barons in 2010-11. There were some fine talents on that OKC team. Here are the even strength numbers for the team’s top prospects that season:

1. LW Liam Reddox (24) 37, 12-12-24 [.649]
  2. RC Mark Arcobello (22) 26, 7-8-15 [.577]
  3. LW Linus Omark (23) 28, 9-6-15 [.536]
  4. LW Teemu Hartikainen (20) 66, 10-22-32 [.485]
  5. RW Colin McDonald (25) 80, 21-13-34 [.425]
  6. RC Ryan O’Marra (23) 53, 2-15-17 [.321]
  7. LC Milan Kytnar (21) 78, 12-11-23 [.295]
  8. RD Jeff Petry (22) 41, 4-7-11 [.268]
  9. LW Phil Cornet (20) 60, 6-10-16 [.267]
  10. LC Chris VandeVelde (23) 67, 9-4-13 [.194]
  11. LD Taylor Chorney (23) 46, 1-6-7 [.152]
  12. RD Alex Plante (21) 73, 2-9-11 [.151]

This group had several issues, including first overall selections passing them each training camp. There are some good hockey players here, but Jeff Petry is the only man who has delivered what we could call a substantial NHL career.

Omark wasn’t close to Taylor Hall in ability, Hartikainen was slow and the team could sign Jesse Joensuu as his replacement, and on it went. Here’s the thing, though: Even if Joensuu was an upgrade in year one, so what? He’s older and has a bad back. Edmonton wasn’t upgrading enough to make that switch worthwhile.

Why not find out what the outer marker is on your own player? I sat in amazement during the 2010’s as the Oilers, time and again, tried to hurry the process. Imperfect players can be useful, even in the NHL.

CONDORS EVEN STRENGTH 2019-20

1. LW Joe Gambardella (25) 50, 13-11-24 [.480]
  2. RW Kailer Yamamoto (20) 23, 4-6-10 [.435]
  3. LW Tyler Benson (21) 47, 6-13-19 [.404]
  4. RC Cooper Marody (22) 30, 3-8-11 [.367]
  5. RD Evan Bouchard (20) 54, 3-16-19 [.352]
  6. LC Ryan McLeod (20) 56, 5-13-18 [.321]
  7. LD William Lagesson (23) 25, 3-5-8 [.320]
  8. RW Cam Hebig (22) 31, 3-4-7 [.226]
  9. RW Kirill Maksimov (20) 53, 4-7-11 [.208]
  10. LD Dmitri Samorukov (20) 47, 2-7-9 [.191]

The Oilers recent efforts to keep first-round picks out of the NHL have already paid dividends, as two men who played for the Condors have encouraging futures. The key will be getting more, from men like Benson and McLeod, allowing those players to develop, make mistakes and become productive NHL players. They are flawed, just like Omark and Hartikainen, but given time and opportunity, they could be part of the solution.

The day Edmonton signed Jesse Joensuu he was 25. His contract was $950,000 times two years. In those two years, he played in 62 games, scoring 5-4-9 and posting a five on five points per 60 of 0.66 and 0.62 in each season.

In Hartainen’s three cups of coffee, he played in 52 games, going 6-7-13. His five on five 60 per year was 1.07, 1.37 and 0.00 (in 194 minutes, that got him fired from the NHL). His cap hit was $875,000.

What would that look like on today’s team? Let’s use Tyler Benson as the Hartikainen character in the updated play. Both men had strong AHL debuts and both men have skating as a worry (Benson’s speed is better than Hartikainen’s so it isn’t a perfect match). If Ken Holland reached out today and signed Sven Andrighetto (he can’t, Andrighetto has another year on his KHL deal), that would be about the same as the Joensuu/Hartikainen maneuvre. Better players involved in the modern example but the premise is the same.

Ken Holland’s style in Detroit was a ‘grow your own’ approach and no doubt we’ll see it here in the years to come. The farm workers can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

94 Responses to "A Developing Story"

1. hunter1909 says:

Players like McLeod must prove themselves; not fans being obligated to say mealy mouthed crap so nice things are said for no good reason. Oilers have several returning players like Ethan Bear who arrived with zero fanfare and are now mainstays on the Yamamoto lol

2. hunter1909 says:

PS: Omark and Yakupov need to write a book of shared experiences.

3. jp says:

Nice article LT.

Omari and Hartikainen remain very good KHL players today. Hopefully Holland breaks the cycle of throwing prospects out too early.

Interesting too who ended up making it from 2010-11. 2 guys who didn’t manage 0.2 per game found ways to play 166 and 278 NHL games when all was said in done. Tough to make a call on players too early.

4. hunter1909 says:

PPS: Add the Swedish prospect Anton Lander – touted for over a year as: “future captain of the Oilers”.

5. Ben says:

I have sympathy for the tumbling dice/doom and gloom approach to prospects, but if you want satisfaction you’ll need to hold your wild horses and get off of McLeod. Time is on his side.

6. OriginalPouzar says:

Agggh, Robert Nilsson – what was it Nillson, Gagner and Cogs that were going to take the team to contender status.

Agggh, Robert Nilsson, what ever came of Ryan O’Mara – future captain?

7. OriginalPouzar says:

Does anyone have some “concern” or “anxiousness” with the change from Keith Gretzky and his group to Tyler Wright and his group vis-a-vis amateur procurement? I liked Gretzky’s work, in aggregate.

I’m fully on board with Archie Henderson and the pro scouting changes.

8. OriginalPouzar says:

Kurt Leavins says the potential of Jesse to the Rangers is heating back up.

It would be for Liam Andersson but Holland would demand the Ranger’s first (and throw in a mid prospect).

Kurt has been right on lots lately but I don’t see that happening (not with the 1st rounder – unless that prospect the Oilers are throwing in is Sammy or better).

9. Rickety Cricket says:

RIP Fred Willard. Those early mockumentaries, like Best in Show, are hilarious.

10. OriginalPouzar says:

Omark and Hartikainan – two of the offensive leaders of UfA (with top offensive d-man, Phillip Larssen).

OriginalPouzar:
    Kurt Leavins says the potential of Jesse to the Rangers is heating back up.

12. OriginalPouzar says:

LeBrun is reporting that the Return to Play Committee has been talking through the weekend and quite a bit of progress has been made between the NHL and the NHLPA on the 24-team format.

Talks will continue.

Seems like there is something building here.

Of course, with resumption of play 2 months away still, lots can happen and change.

13. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:
    Kurt Leavins says the potential of Jesse to the Rangers is heating back up.

I would think Puljujarvi has more value than Andersson though FWIW.

14. buck yoakam says:

Ben,

Ha..very good son!

15. buck yoakam says:

Rickety Cricket,

did a pilot with Fred at allarcom (which was doing SCTV at the time)_…story about a late night show from the far north called the Chat Channel..we were the Paul Scaffer type band of northern weirdos…used to have a copy of this but alas taped a hockey game over it at some point!

16. Material Elvis says:

jp: Interesting. But agreed, it’s difficult to figure a prospect going back that would satisfy. Benson??

I would think Puljujarvi has more value than Andersson though FWIW.

JP > (A)Lias Andersson by a reasonable margin from my limited viewings of LA. The problem with LA (other than attitude) is his skating — very slow boots. He looks like a tweener.

Chicago and Montreal/Quebec are big hockey TV markets, so even if they don’t really deserve it, they should be in the the playoffs to enhance TV viewership.

18. Harpers Hair says:

godot10:

New York too.

19. Material Elvis says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’m fully on board with Archie Henderson and the pro scouting changes.

Wright seems old school and I prefer a more analytical approach to drafting so I am concerned about the change. An aside, in his radio interviews, Wright speaks exactly like Holland. He uses similar words and phrases, same pace, and the accent is also very similar. Young Holland.

20. jp says:

Material Elvis: JP > (A)Lias Andersson by a reasonable margin from my limited viewings of LA.The problem with LA (other than attitude) is his skating — very slow boots.He looks like a tweener.

I was going to say his boxcars show an Anton Lander type start to his career (66-3-6-9) so maybe that was more apt than I realize.

I was going to criticize his offense (or did already?) but the more I look there are encouraging signs. He’s really struggled in the NHL/AHL this past 2 seasons but he scored well on returning to Sweden this year. His draft +1 scoring in the SHL and AHL were quality for his age. Did well at the WJrs and made the WCh team (won the Gold) as well. That was 17-18.

Puljujarvi > Andersson is correct, pretty sure, but I’d be pretty damn happy with 1st (23rd) + Andersson for Puljujarvi + Benson/Samorukov or something like that. Interesting rumour for sure.

21. hunter1909 says:

jp: Puljujarvi > Andersson is correct, pretty sure, but I’d be pretty damn happy with 1st (23rd) + Andersson for Puljujarvi + Benson/Samorukov or something like that.

Sadly for you, Ken Holland likes to win trades not “come out even” so your scenario isn’t happening.

22. Material Elvis says:

I watched the Oilers v Flames goalie fight game last night. The RNH/Drai/Yamo line put the boots to Calgary, which is always fun to watch. Yamo is a real catalyst on that line with this forechecking and anticipation. I thought that McDavid’s line could really use a similar player type and was wondering if Joe Gambardella would fit the bill? He doesn’t have the skill/hands to make the high end plays, but I think he could be disruptive and effective with Connor until they can find a more skilled version. Am I out to lunch with this line of thought?

23. Glovjuice says:

Ryan McLeod, notwithstanding a high end third line C arriving via trade, with be the Oilers 3C for 5-7 years starting in 21-22. He has it.

24. Glovjuice says:

Rickety Cricket:
    RIP Fred Willard. Those early mockumentaries, like Best in Show, are hilarious.

Best in show is my pick for funniest movie ever.

25. jp says:

hunter1909: The Chiarelli “can’t miss” approach when you toss your better players into the hat in return for lesser players then spin it to make everything sound positive.

Heh. I’d have thought that pick #23 was the most valuable asset of the group. If Holland can convince the Rangers otherwise then good for him.

In terms of me being disappointed, this is among the best returns for Puljujarvi I’ve seen proposed, much less ones that have been reported as likely. What are you expecting Holland to get for Jesse?

26. buck yoakam says:

Glovjuice,

oh ya…and the folks that are serious into dog shows hated it!….I loved that and waiting for guffman

27. jp says:

hunter1909,

I’d also have sworn you’d have Jesse writing the forward to that Omark/Yakuov book you mentioned.

28. hunter1909 says:

jp: What are you expecting Holland to get for Jesse?

I expect Holland to come out ahead in most of his deals.

29. jp says:

hunter1909: I expect Holland to come out ahead in most of his deals.

30. Gerta Rauss says:

Rickety Cricket:
    RIP Fred Willard. Those early mockumentaries, like Best in Show, are hilarious.

—Lindberg Air Force Base, Seattle , Washington—

Jeanine: Lieutenant Hookstrat….
    Lt Hookstratten: Ahh…Hookstratten..and you are Spinal TARP?
    Jeanine: I’m Jeanine Pettibone, and this is Spinal TAP.
    Lt Hookstratten: Spinal TAP, my mistake, I’m Lieutenant Bob Hookstratten.
    Welcome to the Lindberg Air Force base. This is your gentlemen’s
    first visit to a military facility?
    Derek: Yeah…
    Lt Hookstratten:I would like to get the playing on about 1900 hours, if that
    is satisfactory?
    Derek: When will that be?
    Lt Hookstratten: I make it now it is about 1830 hours.
    Derek: So that’s what? about 50 hours?
    David: 120 hours?
    Lt Hookstratten: That’s actually about 30 minutes, about a half hour,
    give or take just a few minutes. I don’t want to rush you.
    The idea is that we get it on and we get it over with and
    I have just one request, would you play a couple of slow numbers
    so I can dance.

— Spinal Tap performs Sex Farm —

LoL
    RIP Fred

31. hunter1909 says:

jp: I’d have thought it clear I believe Holland would come out ahead on a Puljujarvi + ‘mid prospect’ for a 1st + Andersson trade. You seem to disagree.

32. defmn says:

hunter1909: You’re probably right. What you don’t factor for is the less than balanced opinions put forth by posters like myself. People with little reason to be reasonable.

Which, of course, raises the question of what reason would people have for having little reason to be reasonable? 😉

33. Halfwise says:

defmn: Which, of course, raises the question of what reason would people have for having little reason to be reasonable?😉

Your question seems more than reasonable!

I like your reasoning.

34. jp says:

It’s all good Hunter. We agree with our expectations for Ken Holland at least.

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

I fricken loved Best in Show.

hilarious

36. slopitch says:

Snowbird crashes in Kamloops. Stunning. Seems like the pilot might be ok though.

37. OriginalPouzar says:

hunter1909:

I have read this post now 6 times and still have no idea what its trying to say…..

A solid first year pro for McLeod – didn’t play center full time but did PK all year long and provided solid offence in a bottom six role with little PP time. His speed (and size) were evident every game that he played (well, that I watched).

If clear he needs more AHL time and, for me, the goal for McLeod next season is to be a full time center and a top 6 center for most of the year – I anticipate he’ll play 2C for most of the year – what “skill level of wingers” will be available is unknown at this point.

38. Munny says:

Let me get this straight…

Woodguy got a photo credit?

Mama Mamyia, I’m floored… Was it photoshopped woodshopped?

(lol. Congrats, Darcy).

39. Munny says:

Gerta Rauss: RIP Fred

Up in heaven dancing to the sweet sounds of Four Jacks and One Jill.

40. jp says:

OriginalPouzar:

Just curious, do you think he’ll play ahead of one of Marody or Malone?

He was so good on Fernwood Tonight. His character was Jerry Hubbard and he was the sidekick on a late night talk show. One snippet: “World War Two. You know, it’s funny, back then it was legal to kill a German, but boy if you kill one now all hell breaks loose.”

42. defmn says:

He and Martin Mull were outrageous together.

43. Dee Dee says:

My issue with Drafts is that there is a lot of Voodoo involved.

Did the player simply dominate his boy peers with superior Strength/Speed/Skills that will not translate to playing against grown men who are vastly more mature?

Are they coachable? Or did they just use their natural skills and in fact they don’t even want to change.

The biggest factor is luck, and avoiding injury. No one ever looks at injuries when evaluating past draft picks and “busts”.

ReDrafts are Double Voodoo. You get the Voodoo from the original draft compared to all the factors I mentioned (plus more) and then evaluate the Draftor based on whether or not their pick got hurt.

44. Jordan says:

If it were me, I wouldn’t be trading much in the way of future to the Rags. With the elite players they have, getting Jesse will likely be a really key piece on their first or second line. If it was me, I’d be looking to move some other pieces who are unlikely to sign here, but might have more interest in playing in New York.

I’d be looking at:

To Edmonton:
    B Prospect + 1st Roudner

To New York Rangers:
    Rights to Jesse Puljujdarvi; one of Anton Slepishev or Bogdan Yakimov; and one of Ostap Safin or Marcus Niemelainen

That 3rd line on the Rangers… it looks like the Oilers 3rd but worse…

45. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: He and Martin Mull were outrageous together.

Mull is a genius…still shows up in cameos from time to time.

Also an accomplished recording artist responsible for the legendary album Sex and Violins featuring “I Haven’t the Vegas Idea”.

46. Harpers Hair says:

Jordan:
    If it were me, I wouldn’t be trading much in the way of future to the Rags.With the elite players they have, getting Jesse will likely be a really key piece on their first or second line.If it was me, I’d be looking to move some other pieces who are unlikely to sign here, but might have more interest in playing in New York.

I’d be looking at:

To Edmonton:
    B Prospect + 1st Roudner

To New York Rangers:

That 3rd line on the Rangers… it looks like the Oilers 3rd but worse…

So, in other words..a bunch of meh for a first round pick.

47. OriginalPouzar says:

Lowetide: Lias Anderson is an interesting prospect but JP has a better chance at a career imo. I don’t know if the gap is close to a first-round pick and am intrigued by the names regarded as mid prospects. Samorukov?

Ya, Sammy was the prospect that came to my mind – as I said, don’t see that Rangers giving up their 1st unless the prospect added to Jesse is Sammy level or better.

Not sure what type of trade value a guy like Sammy has across the league – I would reckon his potential value on the Oilers (potential) is greater than his trade value.

48. OriginalPouzar says:

I would agree with that – the addition of the NYR first rounder turns the deal though and I query what level of prospect would be required to close – Sammy or better I would anticipate.

49. OriginalPouzar says:

Material Elvis: Wright seems old school and I prefer a more analytical approach to drafting so I am concerned about the change.An aside, in his radio interviews, Wright speaks exactly like Holland.He uses similar words and phrases, same pace, and the accent is also very similar.Young Holland.

Well, a mini-Holland would be just fine (and I think Holland has adjusted along with the game).

50. defmn says:

I thought they had walked away from this but apparently it is not dead yet.

“After indications earlier in the month that the NHL was favoring a June draft, little has come out of that so far. However, that may change soon. The Athletic’s Pierre LeBrun (subscription required) writes that NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly indicated a decision should come shortly and likely will be part of the discussion with the NHL Board of Governors at their meeting on Monday afternoon.

A June draft before the NHL 2019-20 season ends has become a controversial discussion since introduced with the general belief that many GMs are against conducting a draft in the middle of the season. However, LeBrun notes that the draft does not need an official Board of Governors vote, meaning that if commissioner Gary Bettman believes it will be in the NHL’s best interest in conducting the draft in June, it can happen that way.”

51. Harpers Hair says:

In order to reverse that disturbing trend, let me introduce you to an offbeat but surprisingly delicious summer drink I picked up on a whim yesterday.

While picking up a bottle of Chilean red to go with tonight’s Beef Wellington, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a bottle that was on sale for a very agreeable price.

Jose Cuervo tequila infused with Grand Marinier and being marketed as Golden Margarita.

Oh my…delicious and just a blender full of ice from being a spectacular long weekend drink.

Also, as I discovered last night, very satisfying on the rocks.

Yes, I’m turning into a corpulent hog…so sue me.

52. OriginalPouzar says:

Material Elvis:
    I watched the Oilers v Flames goalie fight game last night.The RNH/Drai/Yamo line put the boots to Calgary, which is always fun to watch.Yamo is a real catalyst on that line with this forechecking and anticipation.I thought that McDavid’s line could really use a similar player type and was wondering if Joe Gambardella would fit the bill?He doesn’t have the skill/hands to make the high end plays, but I think he could be disruptive and effective with Connor until they can find a more skilled version.Am I out to lunch with this line of thought?

I understand your premise re: style of play but I don’t see Joseph Gambardella as a fit on a top NHL line.

I think that player was Josh Archibald this past year.

53. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Just curious, do you think he’ll play ahead of one of Marody or Malone?

I would think the centers would be:

Marody
    McLeod
    Malone

54. pts2pndr says:

hunter1909:

Actually many on this site were using him as an extra or sweetener to move Lucic or as an extra to move JP and get a better lottery ticket. There in truth, were few regulars on this site that believed Bear had value beyond an add to a player trade. Using Bear as an example is an error in how you remember the coming of age for Bear. Samorukov is now starting to be mentioned in the same way. As an expendable!

55. pts2pndr says:

OriginalPouzar:

I’m fully on board with Archie Henderson and the pro scouting changes.

I do to an extent, in that, I believe Keith is the fall guy for the so called old boys club. The Gretzky name and class are synonymous to me courtesy of Wayne and his Dad. I believe Keith is cut from the same cloth.

56. Munny says:

Harpers Hair: corpulent hog

So tasty them there pork bellies.

Harpers Hair: So, it seems y’all are teetollaling during the Covid Break since not a word about libations for many weeks.

I was doing well till last night. Then I ran straight into five light beer. When you haven’t really had a drink in two months, it’s amazing what five light beer can do to you.

57. pts2pndr says:

Harpers Hair:

Also, as I discovered last night, very satisfying on the rocks.

Yes, I’m turning into a corpulent hog…so sue me.

You may miss the mark or mislead at times but, and you may not like this, you have a freedom of expression and a give a shit value that I find quite endearing!😉

58. pts2pndr says:

godot10:

So what the NHL should do, by what you are saying, is put those teams with the biggest markets in the playoffs. What a great idea, to hell with skill, or winning record! Pure genius! Sign me up for that! NOT!

59. Harpers Hair says:

Munny: So tasty them there pork bellies.

I was doing well till last night.Then I ran straight into five light beer.When you haven’t really had a drink in two months, it’s amazing what five light beer can do to you.

Now, you’ve gone and done it.

I have a pork belly in the freezer and will be forced to prepare it.

Beef Wellington tonight, BBQ lobster skewers tomorrow and a succulent pork belly on Tuesday.

Please send help.

And, oh yeah…the Oilers should trade Kris Russel for Brandon Sutter.

60. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Now, you’ve gone and done it.

I have a pork belly in the freezer and will be forced to prepare it.

Please send help.

And, oh yeah…the Oilers should trade Kris Russel for Brandon Sutter.

61. duct tape and foil says:

Anderson for JP may have some wheels but NYR has to add. Anderson is older, less talented, lower pick, slower boots, less games and less points. Plus the personal issues seem more serious and he is behind JP in terms of rebuilding confidence and value. NYR has to add. If we want a 1st rounder added to Anderson as suggested, then yes another asset is required, and a young LHD makes sense. But I’m not giving up Sammy. Lagesson is more like it. Would prefer Georgiev instead of Anderson to be honest.

62. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Harpers Hair,

I generally don’t approve of Cuervo or Sauza. After tipping back a few with the bartender at the Hyatt in Cancun I asked him to enlighten me as to quality tequila. Asked him what the best is, and what he drinks on an evening at home with the family.

Don Julio is his top shelf recommendation (I prefer it to Patron, so very smooth), and Cazadores Extra Añejo was the every day spirit I took home from duty free on his recommendation.

63. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Also, regarding Lias Anderson, I’d hope Old Dutch is wily enough to avoid that trade. Reeks of DoD Oilers pissing away value to me. Let alone the rumoured add of Benson or Sammy. Bad idea made worse. Hard no.

64. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

duct tape and foil,

Didn’t see this until after I posted, but you’ve nearly perfectly encapsulated my point of view on the matter.

65. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I would think the centers would be:

Marody
    McLeod
    Malone

66. jp says:

My alcohol tastes are decidedly unsophisticated so I don’t talk about it much. But no, definitely not teetotaling. I’m glad the alcohol supply chain has proven more robust than the toilet paper supply chain.

67. OriginalPouzar says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Also, regarding Lias Anderson, I’d hope Old Dutch is wily enough to avoid that trade.Reeks of DoD Oilers pissing away value to me.Let alone the rumoured add of Benson or Sammy.Bad idea made worse.Hard no.

You are forgetting the current best asset in the trade – a first round pick coming to the Oilers.

68. Harpers Hair says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Harpers Hair,

I generally don’t approve of Cuervo or Sauza.After tipping back a few with the bartender at the Hyatt in Cancun I asked him to enlighten me as to quality tequila.Asked him what the best is, and what he drinks on an evening at home with the family.

I am far from a tequila aficionado but have some time on my hands.

Thanks for the recommendations.

69. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: There had better be risotto to go with that pork belly or I will be pretty disappointed in the cook book.

Any recommendations for seasoning the risotto to accompany the pork belly?

70. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Yeah hopefully it turns out that way, and certainly Brad Malone fits the 3C mold. I don’t watch the Condors though, did McLeod play 2C at any point this year when Marody/Malone were both healthy? I assume not, though that doesn’t mean he won’t going forward.

I don’t recall McLeod playing any top 6 center although I didn’t watch as much the last month before the shut down. Colby Cave was playing center.

I anticipate that McLeod will be a full time center this season and much of it in the top 6 – that would be natural progression for him in my mind. Second tier type prospects often take a while to get going in the AHL (some say the jump from CHL to AHL is harder than AHL to NHL) and there is often a solid spike in their seond seasons.

71. jp says:

Harpers Hair: And, oh yeah…the Oilers should trade Kris Russel for Brandon Sutter.

72. Harpers Hair says:

jp: They maybe should. But man, he’s been out of the lineup more than in it for since he joined the Canucks 5 years ago. I wonder whether that’s how Holland wants to address 3C…

Kris Russell is no prize either.

73. jp says:

Harpers Hair: Kris Russell is no prize either.

This is true, though the Canucks do need to re-allocate some salary.

My thought was that Holland might prefer to pay something asset-wise to move Russell elsewhere, if needed, and put the $4M to use on a more dependable player than Sutter. But who knows.

74. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Any recommendations for seasoning the risotto to accompany the pork belly?

75. Harpers Hair says:

defmn: I like my risotto plain. Cooked in chicken stock with lots of good parmesan cheese stirred in. Perfect complement to pork belly imo.

Okay…but I know I’ll add some smoked paprika.

76. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: I don’t recall McLeod playing any top 6 center although I didn’t watch as much the last month before the shut down.Colby Cave was playing center.

77. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Kris Russell is no prize either.

I can see both sides of this making sense if Russell’s NTC makes it impossible to move him for a draft pick. A healthy Sutter is a good trade for the Oilers but can or should they take that chance. Russell plays for $1.5M next season. Even if the Oilers have to eat .5M so the acquiring team gets him for $1M I think I prefer to take the $3.5 in cap space and shop for a younger, healthier guy.

Sutter is a reasonable backup plan but I wouldn’t start the shopping there.

78. defmn says:

Harpers Hair: Okay…but I know I’ll add some smoked paprika.

Let me know.

79. jp says:

defmn:

Sutter is a reasonable backup plan but I wouldn’t start the shopping there.

That’s pretty much exactly how I feel.

Sutter for Russell would be a great trade (from my POV) if Sutter had been generally healthy. And it would still be fine if it’s the best that’s available. But I’d hope for something that would be more certain to fill the 3C spot for the Oilers next season.

80. Decidedly Skeptical Fan says:

Jordan:

I’d be looking at:

To Edmonton:
    B Prospect + 1st Roudner

To New York Rangers:

That 3rd line on the Rangers… it looks like the Oilers 3rd but worse…

Try to look at this from the Ranger’s perspective. GM there has been catching hell for the Liam Andersson pick, which is pretty much universally considered a bust in NY. So you are asking him to take on another probable bust in JP while giving up a 1st for the right to do so. Yah, that should go over well with the Ranger season ticket holders. Probably not a good look if you have any interest in keeping your GM gig.

81. defmn says:

I love salads in the summer. One of my favourites is Salade Nicoise which is a bit of a misnomer since it is really a meal unto itself.

The ingredients sound a little strange for a salad but trust me, this is a meal you will want more than once.

Because it is a salad the main ingredients do not come in any particular amount so much as portions per person.

Tomatoes – I prefer the grape or cherry size left whole

Potatoes – I prefer the three colour variety from the small potato company cut into halves

Green beans – the best green beans on the market – and I know this is hard to believe – are the President’s Choice frozen haricot verts from Superstore. I know. But trust me.

You will need to cook the potatoes the same way you would boil them for any meal and the beans just enough to take the snap out of them. You need to do this early on because everything in this meal is served at room temperature.

In addition to these three main ingredients you will want a soft boiled egg peeled and sliced lengthwise per person and about 6 anchovies per person according to taste.

One can of good quality chunk tuna for every two people finishes the ingredients. I have had this salad in very fancy restaurants where they use fresh tuna and it is not as good.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you that the ingredients sound strange.

All of these ingredients are placed on a large serving tray – usually with the tomatoes at one end, the potatoes in the middle and the beans at the other end. The tuna sits on top of the potatoes with the eggs placed around the edges and the anchovies are sprinkled whole on top.

What makes this all work, of course, is the vinaigrette.

The juice from a whole lemon with a heaping tablespoon of good mustard like Maille or similar. Salt and pepper and emulsify with oil of your choice. Should be added at the table individually to taste.

I know. It sounds strange. One of the best summertime meals you will ever come across.

82. maudite says:

Pretty sure there was some personal reasons on teemu eject.

83. OriginalPouzar says:

jp: Thanks. I thought I’d heard folks saying McLeod got some reps in the top 6 towards the end of the year but could be mistaken. In any case, yes that’s the progression you’d like to see, so hopefully we do with McLeod. Maybe the Condors end up with enough decent wingers to have some skill on 3 lines?

Its tough to say at this point what the forward skill level will be like.

Will Benson be on the team and for how long?

Will Currie be re-signed? He’s a UFA. He’s a beast of an AHL player and a fan favorite – my guess is Holland is trying to get him to go the Malone route – throw some extra cash his way to entice him to sign an AHL deal.

Hopefully Maksi can move up to more offensive reps.

Lavoie will add size and skill but who knows who long it will take him to acclimatize to the pro game?

Hamblin will add some skill.

Maybe Kuffner can re-establish himself?

84. OriginalPouzar says:

Congrats to Sammy on his wedding….

85. Material Elvis says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Harpers Hair,

Specifically the Don Julio 1942 — it’s quite good. Cuervo is mostly bad except for the more rare gran reserve they make, which is excellent. My favorite is something called Tres, Cuatro y Cinco gran reserve extra añejo. It’s a premium tequila that’s very expensive ($400 usd per bottle) but if you like tequila and ever get a chance to try it…..

86. Material Elvis says:

OriginalPouzar: Joe G. is a solid AHL player and can likely hold his own as a tweener in the NHL for a game here or there.

I think that player was Josh Archibald this past year.

Yeah, I didn’t think it would work. I would love it if they would draft that type of forward this year. Highly skilled type with a non-stop motor. Archie and JoeG just don’t have the hands that are required to play top line minutes.

87. Glovjuice says:

Material Elvis: Specifically the Don Julio 1942 — it’s quite good.Cuervo is mostly bad except for the more rare gran reserve they make, which is excellent. My favorite is something called Tres, Cuatro y Cinco gran reserve extra añejo.It’s a premium tequila that’s very expensive ($400 usd per bottle) but if you like tequila and ever get a chance to try it…..

$400 bottle of booze. Better be good. What’s next ? Yacht talk on Lowetide. Anyway, The line I wish we could see is AA-McLeod-Puljujarvi

88. jp says:

OriginalPouzar: Its tough to say at this point what the forward skill level will be like.

Will Benson be on the team and for how long?

Will Currie be re-signed?He’s a UFA. He’s a beast of an AHL player and a fan favorite – my guess is Holland is trying to get him to go the Malone route – throw some extra cash his way to entice him to sign an AHL deal.

Hopefully Maksi can move up to more offensive reps.

Hamblin will add some skill.

Maybe Kuffner can re-establish himself?

Yeah it is near impossible to predict. But they could have a good group if things break right…

Benson like you say may or may not be in Bakersfield.

Gambardella should be there, and was #2 in AHL goals per game (I think) 2 years ago. Fell off this season but he has skill.

Currie may or may not be back. We can probably count on him or some similar replacement/depth making it to Bakersfield though (and there was some suggestion Jurco might be back).

Kuffner could (should) be a good player at that level.

Maksimov and/or Lavoie could be ready to produce.

And all those AHL signings have potential…

Hamblin was #3 in WHL scoring.

All of Brousseau, Folkes and Christensen have scored a point per game in college.

It’s far from a sure thing but it’s not hard to imagine 6 quality wingers emerging from that group. Esposito is also in the mix.

89. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

OriginalPouzar,

No, I noticed. I’m not swayed.

90. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Harpers Hair,

Any time. I’m not a tequila expert, but did notice a significant uptick in quality and flavour (as did those with whom I shared a dram — and insisted on sipping it neat, per custom).

Be interested to know what you think if you do go out on a limb and pick up a bottle.

91. meanashell11 says:

A little sage and dried porcini mushrooms.

92. VanIsleOil says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey:
    Harpers Hair,

Cuervo and Sauza give tequila a bad name. These Mixto tequilas taste vastly inferior to Reposado(rested) or Anejo(aged) tequilas. Do yourself a favour, spend $5 -$10 more and get an excellent tasting Reposado or Anejo tequila. A couple of excellent brands that give you great quality at a reasonable price are Cazadores and El Jimador. Salud!!